dry firing a savage rifle.

1 of my savages has a timney trigger set 2 a dangersously low 1 1/2 lbs. and it gets dry fired all the time so people can feel how crisp the trigger is. selling timney's and not even on the payroll, what a shame!

Ive asked the gunsmith here in town the same question only about all rifles. I dont know how much truth there is to it but he told us that as well built as guns are today just about all of them can be dry fired without causing any damage. Josh

When I shot HP rifle competition using pre-64 Mod. 70, I shot out three barrels (averaged 7000 rounds per bbl) and dry fired at least as many times as the rifle was fired. Never replaced any part on that rifle other than barrels.

I have replaced at least one firing pin on my M1 match rifle that I suspect dry firing expedited its demise, however. It was dry-fired a lot, too.

I don't worry much about damage to a center fire rifle from dry-firing. Rimfire is another story.

Regards,
hm

I've never worried about dry firing any firearm. I have always heard that bit about rimfires being more prone to problems from dry firing and I seached the all knowing internet about it one day. I found an article, can't remember where, but they took two identical rimfires and fired one 25,000 times. The other one they dry fired 25,000 times. The wear/damage on the bolt and firing pin was the same. Granted, it is a very general test with only one type of gun but that really says that dry firing is no worse than firing. Your results may vary but I try to dry fire my rifles a lot and I think it makes me a better shot. Snap-caps are a waste of money IMO.

Last edited:
"but they took two identical rimfires and fired one 25,000 times."

NOW THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A FUN DAY!

i have dry fired my savage som, not much but nothing is wrong with it

Some modern RF manufacturers say it is safe to dry fire their product. I have seen chamber damage on older rimfires where firing pin struck the lip of chamber from dryfiring, denting the end of barrel.

Maybe just a case of "can't teach an old dog new tricks" but I am still reluctant to dry fire RF's unless instructed otherwise by manufacturer.

Regards,
hm

Dry firing centerfire rifles is OK. About the only thing that could break is the firing pin, and I've never heard of one breaking from dry firing. Dry firing is a valuable exercise for target shooters.
As far as 22 Rimfire Rifle dry firing is concerned, if the rifle is designed to have the firing pin stop short of the rear of the barrel when the trigger is pulled, it's ok. Many older 22 Rimfires were not designed to do this, so don't do it with them.

Last edited:
Back