Ideas needed for skull mount!

rizzo

I clean a lot of skulls and decided to mix things up a little and add some color to one. This is hammered copper on a bobcat skull. What do you guys think?

skull_bobcat_copper1.jpg

skull_bobcat_copper2.jpg

I am going to donate it to an auction at a local hunting club, but I want to put it on a plaque or a pedestal or something like that. But I'm no artist, so I need some ideas! Anyone?

Glen, is that a dip or did you brush that on...what?

I think it would look good on a black steel rod above a dark wood plaque.

Tim - that sounds like a good idea! I'll have to play with that a little. I tried to brush something on a test bone, but it just wasn't going on evenly enough. Haven't tried a dip, though I have some good ideas for that. With this skull I used a spray on primer, then a spray on hammered copper applied in 3 even coats, and right now I am adding a clear coat.

Yeah but this isn't Krylon. I used the primer with this stuff to make sure that I got really good adhesion and durability.

rizzo, first off, COOL! Second, when you say spray on are you referring to spray can or an airbrush? Lastly what other finishes are available...silver, gold,???

How about a 6-8 inch copper/brass/stainless/etc rod mounted to a nice wood base plate. Then attaching the skull to the rod (drill and epoxy in the bottom of the skull???). Kinda floating/suspended. Could do the same with a bend in the rod right at the base to make it wall mounted. May not be a good idea, just the first thing that I came up with.

Looks cool like it is for sitting on the shelf or book case.

A dip would open it up to patters too. Carbon Fiber/camo/etc.

B

The teeth usually get loose as you degrease the skull, easy enough to remove and whiten them as you do the rest of the skull. Then glue them back in place.

Trying to mask them off and rattle can around them would give pretty poor results.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21rizzo, first off, COOL! Second, when you say spray on are you referring to spray can or an airbrush? Lastly what other finishes are available...silver, gold,???

Just a spray can, but I think the next one I am going to airbrush. The finishes are limitless, really - as long as you can mix or buy the color, then it's available.

Originally Posted By: mtbadgerWould it be to hard to keep the teeth white??? Just asking...

Funny you would mention this . . . a guy on another site asked the same thing! I'll give it a shot on the next one, and we'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyThe teeth usually get loose as you degrease the skull, easy enough to remove and whiten them as you do the rest of the skull. Then glue them back in place.

Trying to mask them off and rattle can around them would give pretty poor results.

The teeth in my skulls never get loose. Since I use beetles and degrease and bleach using non-corrosive materials, the teeth stay firmly locked in place. Masking them off would be pretty difficult to do, and if they were out that would be easier, so I'll have to play around with it a little.

Someone a while back posted a picture of a wood plaque mounted skull but he had masked off the perimeter of the wood and then sprayed contact adhesive to it and then sprinkled a fine sand on the adhesive. Then he removed the masking leaving a wood perimeter with a sandy design in the middle. It looked expensive despite its simplicity. I can't find the post right now but I will keep looking.

The most corrosive thing I use to degrease is ammonia and that's rare. Generally just the dawn/hot water route. By the time deer and goats are done their teeth are always loose. Goats are bad about dropping them in the bottom of the bucket. I can't actually remember if the last bobcat I did needed any dental work or not.

I've got a couple personal yotes and a bear sitting in the freezer atm, carnivores may be different than the herbivores. Too much paid work to play with my own stuff
laugh.gif
I figure another 3 or 4 months and I can start on my own collection.

Last edited:
you know i thought about doing something like that. a plaque with the skull a kill picture and maybe the casing from the bullet that took it down just as a little trophy for personal use.

I decided on a mount for the copper bobcat skull, thanks to some input from Tim (Switch). It's different for sure, but I think it looks good.

skull_bobcat_copper4.jpg

skull_bobcat_copper3.jpg

Back