1st Crane 09

Bob Addy

Got the benelli M2 12 out and headed for the fields this evening. It didn't take long to dump these two young birds with some Black Cloud #3's. I didn't even bother getting the deeks out. Just hid in some weeds and went to blasting. Nothing like the sound of a crane hitting the ground,,,,,THUMP!

1stcrane09.jpg

thats cool!! allways wanted to try hunting those.. how big and how do they taste?? how far was the shots?? not a 28 ga. bird??lol good going! grandpa fudge

I know some hunters using .410's on them,,,, but only when shooting over deeks. I blasted one high flier this evening that I led around 12 feet with the 12ga and he had a head wind. They can be some tough birds. A big mature bird will weigh around 8-9 lbs. Their chest feathers act almost like a kevlar vest. We've found our shot balled up in their feathers that never penetrated. I found some 20ga Black Cloud that I will try soon.
They are pretty tasty and make some of the best jerky you will ever eat. That is about all we do with the now. It is a big production when O'brian and I start making it.

Back