aetec scope reviews

j_valdez

I picked up a Aetec Simmons scope model 2101 for around 120 dollars. just wondering how these scopes perform ? was this a good price?

That's about what I paid for mine new when the aetec first came out. I like my scope, a lot of guys aren't huge fans of them. The whole reason I got mine is that it was the only sub-$200 scope at the time that had long eye relief. Due to my long neck and funny shaped head, if I have a scope with short eye relief, it catches me in the forehead on recoil.

I really like mine. I also bought mine for the eye relief. Put it on a muzzleloader. Works great, had no problems. I also have a simmons 44 mag which is also a very good scope.

We used to pick them up for $99 each.

Of the 5 Aetecs I have known:

1 broken reticle during 1st sight in session on 30-06

1 (new model)broken turrets on 1st sight in session on .50 muzzleloader

2 have barely been used, but okay so far

1 used extensively on a Ruger 77 243 and still works well

Hey, this ain't the optics forum........
grin.gif

My 1st one didn't work (I never could get it dialed in) I sent it back to Simmons/Bushnell and got a free new replacement (paid $10 for shipping).AETEC 4x14x44 with a sun shade, and side parallax adj. I have it on a Savage 7mm rem mag. So far around 20 shots total on the scope and its still hitting exactly where I zeroed in at.

The 1st one I received was an ebay purchase and it was not new (although it was advertised as new) I got my $$ back for that but they let me have the scope. I'm sure they knew as well as I did that it was indeed not new and not working and did that instead of getting the bad rating I gave them...which I rescinded.

Kudos to Simmons for the free replacement. Personally I find the glass very good (looks about the same as my Leupold cascades binos) and it hasn't fogged up in either the snow or sideways rain I've brought it in.

I'm happy with it.

The two I have work great in lowlight. They gotta be more than a dozen years old now.....been on many rifles and thrown around alot. Hard to believe how long they lasted. Just the other week, one quit keeping zero after some very harsh smokeless muzzleloader loads, other one still works like new.

I have the Aetec in 4-14*44 w/ SF and Mil-Dot. Mounted on my .243.

Love it. Bought it for $164 in August. Went on sale in Sept for $99, now it's down to $89.

Linky

My tough luck but it's a good scope.

I have one on a muzzel loader that I bought off of a friend. It is pretty clear. It is the older Aetec
2.8-10x44. It has held its accuracy very well, but less than 50 rounds shot through it. Simmons recently changed their scope to a "Master Series" I had another model that was designated with that name, a new scope. I was VERY upset with its performance. Honestly, it sucked. It is on my son's pellet gun. I will not own another "newer" Simmons scope. I have also had very bad luck with the newer Simmons scope. From my experiences, if I was to go simmons, the older Simmons would be the way to go.

So to answer your question, if it is the older Aetec with out the black highlights, great score!

Back