border collie x

ccinso

hey guys im new here but ive reading on here for quite a while.
ive been kickin around the idea of crossin a jagd with my border collie female. i dont know whole lot about hunting dogs but ive had good stock dogs most of my life and have a couple of good collies that i use at work but it seems like their mainly sight dogs and dont use their nose that much my male has started several greys but always breaks off after its out of sight. id like something i could use for work and also hunt
a little bit to.mainly coon, fox and bobcat. so i was wondering
if any of you had ever tried somthing like that. or am i just asking for trouble

thanks
casey

Casey, I've known several folks with good collie lurchers(Working dog X Running dog) that use them as all rounders, catching game for terriers and chasing their own. Collie for smarts and handling, greyhound/staghound for speed and power.

A cross like you're thinking of would probably tame the Jagd blood down, but I don't know what the collie would add that a Jagd is lacking. I'm definately not one to shoot down a cross breeding project, versatilty is a beautiful thing in hunting dogs, best of luck with it.

Also check out Devin's thread (in this forum) about a Jagd/Cur cross, some good info in there aswell.

thanks for your reply ill take a look at that thread.
also im open to other suggestions if anyone has one.
im not dead set on a jagd but i would like to stay with the
collie

casey

I like to run a Mcnab/Border, with my other dogs, just for the sight and speed he brings to the mix.
If you wanna try the cross, do it, and see how they turn out.You might have the "next great thing", or a "huge wreck". Thats why its an experiment.
I know the "Stock dogs",but I don't know a thing about Terriers.

Back