RL 15 FOR THE .308 ?

D90

Any of you guys using it ? looking for loads for bullets ranging from 125 gr to 155 gr, been using it with great results for years with my .17 rem but would like to try it in the 308 any advice would be great thanks........

Last edited:
I use it, but all my loads are with 165-175gr. bullets. Been meaning to run some 155gr Scenars with it, but it hasn't happened yet. R-15 is great in the 308......

I've been testing it with 165gr bullets and so far it's running in third place behind varget and IMR-4064 as far as accuracy at 100 and 200yrds
Varget with Hornady 165gr SST bullets is my best load.

I use strictly RL 15 (42 gr) to push 168 gr Sierra HPBT's as this combo has been an extreme accurate load in my Ruger MkII M77V, at 100 yds. I've had consistent results of .600 spread - 5 shot groups at that distance. And to avoid controversy, "NO" I can't do that "All Day Long."

My experience is that RE15 often produces the highest velocities, but usually falls behind IMR-4064 or Varget in accuracy. I usually shoot the 165's in my .308 rifles also.

I'll be honest with ya. My 308 Win GAP rifle is a better shooter than I am. It is a true 1/2moa or better rifle. I have shot tons of groups using 3 powders exclusively. Varget, R-15, and 4064. All 3 shoot so well I still can't tell which is best. All 3 git 'er done.

I can say for certain though:

4064 is more temp sensitive than the other 2, and Varget the least.

Varget burns the cleanest.

R-15 produces the highest velocities.......

Thanks for all the input lads, just one more thing I will be shooting red and sika deer over here in Ireland and would like your thoughs on the following bullets for this purpose, the hornady Amax in 155 gr and the nosler ballistic tip 150 gr what do you recommend thanks again.

Last edited:
I have shot both RL-15 and Varget in my .308 Savage rifle with 155 Nosler Custom Competition and 150 gr. Ballistic Tip bullets. My preference is for Varget, as I get consistently tighter groups with it.

I would go with a bonded bullet such as Nosler Accubond, Remington PSP Core-Lokt or the Hornady equivalent (can't remember the name).

Last edited:
I'm taking note of your .308 rifle's like for Varget powder. since I just nought some for testing purposes in my 223 and 22-250, I might as well make up some rounds for my .308 Ruger and see how she does. Just because she happens to like RL 15 doesn't mean she wouldn't like the flavor of Varget if groups will be tightened up. Maybe Varget can provide that illusive one holer. How many grs are you using in your loads?

D90 - I would shy away from the AMax for hunting, as it was developed as a target bullet. I would have NO idea what to expect as far as terminal results (expansion, bullet integrity, etc.).
Good luck hunting!
Mark

Luckily, others here would. A 155 a-max will drop any deer size game out there as pretty as you please. Never tried them on anything larger.......

Originally Posted By: Shynloco How many grs are you using in your loads?

I use 44.5 gr. of Varget for an estimated velocity of 2800 FPS .

Quote:A 155 a-max will drop any deer size game out there as pretty as you please.

A red deer may be as large as a cow elk (500 lbs.), depending on the location. Personally, I'd go with 165 gr. Nosler Partitions.

Back