where can i send my furs to get them tanned?

Since he probably won't want to send them from North Dakota to Idaho.I would check online and if nothing shows up ask someone at a local sporting goods store they should know, it is cheaper to find a taxidermist that tans them them self. Some places send them some were to get it done and they charge more.

My bro and I have used these guys in Duluth, MN http://www.usafoxx.com/ .

They're kind of slow and don't give good shipping or lead time updates but the price is good and so was their work.

You might get some more info if you post this in the trapping sub-forum. Good luck!

I don't know many prices but were I take mine I pay $20. The other shops around my house told me $80!!! Because they had to send them some were else and add on some more $ for themselves.

Originally Posted By: DstratI don't know many prices but were I take mine I pay $20. The other shops around my house told me $80!!! Because they had to send them some were else and add on some more $ for themselves.

In the same boat.

I was quoted $100 for a fox here in NV. I bought a tanning kit from Sportsman's Warehouse for $20 and have done 2 foxes and one coyote so far. My next coyote is almost skinned and I'll have enough of the kit left over to probably do one more coyote or two more foxes.

Small learning curve but if a person can skin an animal, they can certainly tan a hide. Skinning well is a skill I've yet to master.

I just got some greys back from moyles. I was very happy see a tread in the trapping fur handling section for more info.

Originally Posted By: HereticOriginally Posted By: DstratI don't know many prices but were I take mine I pay $20. The other shops around my house told me $80!!! Because they had to send them some were else and add on some more $ for themselves.

In the same boat.

I was quoted $100 for a fox here in NV. I bought a tanning kit from Sportsman's Warehouse for $20 and have done 2 foxes and one coyote so far. My next coyote is almost skinned and I'll have enough of the kit left over to probably do one more coyote or two more foxes.

Small learning curve but if a person can skin an animal, they can certainly tan a hide. Skinning well is a skill I've yet to master. heretic, did you have to flesh the hide real good. did the leather turn out nice and soft or more heavy. thanks

I just sent a PM to you and gave you contact info for the fellow here in Williston who has done case skinning and hide tanning for me on 6 coyote hides. He isn't cheap, but he had done excellent work.

The foxes came out great. Soft supple leather side. No slippage on the hair side. The foxes are by far easier to flesh than the one coyote I've done.

The coyote was shot in July and had almost no coat. Skin was super thin and came out almost like parchment. I over oiled the skin so it's almost translucent. I'll be more careful with the latest coyote. There is a huge difference in the fur and so far the skin is actually thicker. I guess due to cold weather, fat build up in skin?

PM me if you want photos of the hides.

Back