What makes a coyote hunting location a great one?

Lots of food for thought here. I really appreciate the input and responses so far. I realise that most folks will have different approaches to most anything, but I kind of figured there were some basics to finding good spots that were somewhat universal... I see now that that may not be entirely true and it depends on not only what part of the country you hunt, but also what has worked for folks in the past! Lots of information to be gained from the experienced folks opinions! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: dtm6582I can't give really good advice here, but I was just reading a likely outdated publication last weekend that talked about a large coyote population near Anderson Mesa. I believe this is just south of Flagstaff. Might want to give it a try.

Thanks! I'll do a bit more reseach on where it's at and maybe give it a try. I live about 40 miles south of Flagstaff but commute daily to Flag to work.

Originally Posted By: AzRednekRabbitI start with tracks and scat. I've had the same problem you are having. I've called some spots that look like it would be coyote heaven and been skunked. I've also called some spots where I though there would be no chance a coyote would come in and a double comes charging in. Where are you located in Northern AZ? I hunted Cottonwood over Thanksgiving weekend and had some good luck.

Thanks, I'm not too far from the Cottonwood area... PM sent.

One thing that I think makes a good spot (assuming that there are coyotes there) is the ability to get in quickly and quietly to set-up for a stand. With a certain wind direction, can I park the truck somewhere out of sight? Can I get into where I want to set-up without skylining myself or walking across a lot of open area?

tt2.gif

Last edited:
there you have it!!! the complete answer. come on dude sounds like the same story you tell everytime. I use a wt and they fall in my lap dead on nearly every stand.. I bet your truck gets 45 mpg to!!!

Back