how to bobcat

AZtoeTagger

cant seem to figure out cats. whats the best time of day? how long do i call? is it better hunting wooded areas or desert? is it the rabbit call or the bird? just need some good advice.

when i target bobcats i start by finding tracks, they like thick cover or rock piles bluffs and cliffs.
i'll call for up to two hours on a set.
i call constent, and at a lower volume.
high pitch cottontail and switch to a bird in distress.
game chicken in distress and gobbler in distress work well too.
you can set out a turkey decoy with the turkey and a feather in the wind with the game chicken.
decoys work well on bobcat as they hunt more by hearing and sight.
just gotta keep trying i feel more people get cats in then know because they are so well camoed and sneak so well.

We call sometimes for 45 minutes to an hour if we are in a good cat spot. I second the thick cover and rock piles for locating them. They are real sneaky and can be very difficult to see during the daylight nours.

Yup, what has been said.

45 min to and hour stands, be patient, little to no movement.

they are very observant and stealthy.

I have more luck with decoys on cats, they are curious little beggars!

good luck

cant seem to figure out cats. whats the best time of day? how long do i call? is it better hunting wooded areas or desert? is it the rabbit call or the bird? just need some good advice.

Im sure any time will work but late afternoon evening, and night has worked best for me. As stated above, go for thick brush / heavily wooded cover.

In terms of calls you only need 1... the Primos Catnip! Absolutely amazing sounds with verry raspy cat and cottontail / jack squalls. Keep them consistent and just be Patient! When you least expect it, they will be there just staring at ya
grin.gif

Last edited:
My hunting buddy and I have had good luck calling in cats. Look for thick washes with rocky elevated areas around it. We have called them in with high pitched bird calls/rabbit distress/jackrabbit distress/pup distress calls. Sometimes we just let the foxpro just run and called them in, other times we have called them in when letting it run for 4 minutes then shutting it down for 6-8 minutes and repeating this process. The level of the sound doesn't seem to matter that much. I had one come right into the call on jackrabbit distress playing on level 40. He was only 5 ft away from the call before I dropped him. He must have been deaf or something!
laugh.gif
One thing about cats that I have noticed is that they don't seem to care too much about sent, I have had them come right in where they should have winded me but didn't care...he was focused on the call and the woodpecker decoy. If you have called quite a bit here in AZ I would bet you have already called some in, but didn't see them...they probabley saw you first and faded away before you had a chance to see them. When I am in an area where I feel like it is a good area for cats, I don't move a muscle during the whole set. Just move your eyes and nothing else. This is where a good hunting partner comes in handy. They need to be just as dedicated to this style also and can watch a different direction.
Time on stand...all the cats that we have called in all showed themselves withing 20 minutes. I don't like staying longer 25 minutes on a stand and thats because of so many other areas that I want to hit that day. Now if I were limited to less area to hunt I would probably stay on a stand longer.

thanks for all the info. i see my problem. i start getting a no luck feeling after 10 min. when i first started hunting a year ago a friend started with me. and we had no idea what we were doing. we put a ecaller out and in 2 min. a bobcat came up to the caller and he shot it. so i thought they came in within 10 minutes.

Back