GRAY FOX VIXEN (PICS)

nutcracker

Called in this little vixen this morning. I got a late start this morning, my 2yr old son woke up about 4 a.m. and didnt get him back to sleep til 5:30. Only had about 30 minutes to hunt before work. Decided to try a hot little spot I acquired this fall that is on my drive to work. I shot a nice male coyote within a hundred yards of this stand back in October. It's a powerline right of way that crosses a county road as it goes up Sand Mountain here in northeast Alabama. I shot the coyote on the powerline right of way. I set up this morning in a small hardwood flat about 50 yds down the mountain from the powerline. For six years I've been seeing fox and raccoon cross the road here at night. Knew it had to be a good spot.

I left the e-caller and the decoy in the truck this morning. Only carried in my Franchi I-12, stool, monopod, and couple of mouth calls. I called her in using a Knight and Hale Tripple Dawg rabbit distress. I stayed on the call constantly during the set, targeting bobcats and fox now that they are in season. I mixed in a little rodent squealer that's made into a wooden fox call that I purchased off the internet last year.

This little vixen came in from behind me at about the 20 minute mark. she came in on my right at about 30yds and was moving past me when I saw her. Luckily she stopped behind a big oak tree and gave me time to turn into the shot. I've missed 3 grays that came in on my weak side and busted me as I made the adjustment. Anyway, I had a perfect head shot at 30yds when she stepped out. The 3" Federal Ultra-Shok #2 tungsten put her down dead on the spot, no spinning or even a tail twitch. No damage and she's furred up good for an Alabama fox. Gonna have this one mounted. She'll go nicely with a male red fox that I had mounted couple of years ago. Been a good season so far. 3 coyotes and a gray fox so far. Still looking for Mr. TomBob.

huntingpics110.jpg

huntingpics118-1.jpg

huntingpics115.jpg

Good lookin gray, congrats!

I'm not sure I could go hunting before work. I'd get wrapped up in it, lose track of time, and not show up until noon!
grin.gif

hillbilly1, thanks. i got remarried 3yrs ago. my new bride asked me how often i liked to hunt. i told her i dont count the days i hunt. i count the days that life interferes with it!! haha! i do try to get out as often as i can. put in about 20-30 stands a week from September til end of March. I'm afraid I've got it bad.

That is a fine looking Gray Fox to mount that's for sure, and no damage to boot, good job. Great coloration(vivid) and markings.

Don't you just love it when you do it with mouthcalls? I've taken five foxes this year(reds and grays) only one has been killed using an e-caller.

What are the two calls shown in the picture?

Pruson, thanks alot. She is colored up well. Pretty on the underside too. The green call you see in the picture is a factory Knight and Hale Tripple Dawg rabbit distress. It has three closed reeds inside. It's missing the barrel, i lost it couple weeks ago. Doesn't seem to hinder it though. I killed a nice female yote last thursday with the same call.

The wooden call is a Illinois River Valley Calls DJ fox call. SFC-07 stamped on the barrel. Rabbit distress with a rodent squealer built into the side of the sound chamber. I purchased it on the internet couple years ago I think. This is my first kill using it.

Back