CA gray fox opener

Switch

Well, with fading light, I had time for a single stand this evening in some areas where I've seen fox and fox sign. I tucked myself into some brush and used an RR handcall I received recently. Two calls that complement each other really well, one open reed and one closed reed. About five minutes in I hear a short, high pitched bark and I see this guy perched on top of a rock pile about 40-yards away. I have no idea how long he was there. He never saw me and I dropped him with a single shot of dead coyote from my 870. As soon as he fell, I thouhgt I saw a second one take off through the brush, but had no shot. He looks like he caught 2-3 pellets in the neck area and it doesn't appear to have any skull damage. I guess I'll know more when I toss it in with the beetles. Pretty animal.

2009fox.jpg

Good job. We had a couple fox come in a couple weeks ago (before the season opener) and it's probably the only ones we'll see all year!

That is one PRETTY fox! Definitely would get that life sized if it were mine. Congrats there Switch that is my idea of a dream fox.

Got him almost square between the eyes with the mighty 17hmr. Pin prick entrance, no exit. That mess is where his liquified brains leaked out his ear canal.

I didn't know we can hunt Grey Fox, can you give me a run down of the requirements and the season length please. I'd Like to have a fox tail on the wall with the coyote tails.

t/c223encore.

Back