newbe help

Alec

I'm new to preditor hunting (30 years big game and birds). A expierienced preditor hunter friend of mine is interested in night calling, he is not on line. I want to go with him and try night calling.
Question 1 what is the typical range preditors are shot at night. #2 Is the slow moveing vehical technique really common and efective. #3 can a standard pickup bed be used with out custom elevated seats. What or good make
#4 Is a 360 degree red light and a rifle mounted red spot light a good combo.
#5 Does any one use a red 360 dgree light, like a lamp or lantern, mounted on a piece of plywood up above the hunter to keep the light off the truck and hunters( yes this is probably a dumb idea)
#6 Can I use my 22-250 with Leupold 6-20X 40mm or do I need less magnification and more light transmission ?
#7 has any one tried a Coleman lantern with a red filter (I'm not saying the red filter exists) ?
Thanks for reading all this. Alec

Alec I will answer a couple questions for you...

#1- In my area and probably yours too, your shots at night are usually 20 to 150 yards...According to what predator is called in...

#6- That set-up will be fine... I use a high powered scope myself...Just turn your scope down to get more light transmission...

#7- Not sure what you mean about a latern...I would think a latern would be useless for night hunting...It would not throw enough light to shoot by....

The other questions about truck hunting is something that is against the law here in Va...Maybe someone else can help with these.....

Welcome to Predator Masters...

Chad

I am not sure that you could see anything with a 360 degree light, or a lantern with red lense. You need something with a beam so you can reach out and see them if not they would have to be within 10 or 20 yds. What is a slow moving vehicle technique?

Originally Posted By: AlecI'm new to preditor hunting (30 years big game and birds). A expierienced preditor hunter friend of mine is interested in night calling, he is not on line. I want to go with him and try night calling.
Question 1 what is the typical range preditors are shot at night. out to 300 yards here #2 Is the slow moveing vehical technique really common and efective. not really.. call some #3 can a standard pickup bed be used with out custom elevated seats. What or good makeyes, just don't shoot the hood or antenna off
laugh.gif

#4 Is a 360 degree red light and a rifle mounted red spot light a good combo. lightforce lights work great. the best I have ever used !
#5 Does any one use a red 360 dgree light, like a lamp or lantern, mounted on a piece of plywood up above the hunter to keep the light off the truck and hunters( yes this is probably a dumb idea)don't use that type of light. keep the halo of the spotlight in the critters eyes. don't light up your truck at all.
#6 Can I use my 22-250 with Leupold 6-20X 40mm or do I need less magnification and more light transmission ? 3-9 is good or 4.5-14... 6-20 is gonna be tough and hard target acquistion in dark
#7 has any one tried a Coleman lantern with a red filter (I'm not saying the red filter exists) ? buy a good spotlight, leave the lantern to camping and such.
Thanks for reading all this. Alec

Last edited:
Back