25 pronghorn info necked down 270 wsm????

timberboss

Was wanting some info on the 25 pronghorn has anyone been around one or know anyone who can give me some input. Purpose of build to get a good left handed gun then convert it to the quarter bore which I like. Thanks for input.

There was a good article in one of the mags about a year ago on this cartridge. I am sure you could google it up...

I though about a 25 SAUM and even bought a 7SAUM for a donor, but alas, I shot it and could not continue.

A whole day and no one posted it was a barrel burner yet? I'm amazed. But anyhow to your question, 257 Weatherby velocities with ease and less pressure. Don't worry about barrels, they're cheap considering what it takes to burn one. I say go for it if thats what you want

I think I have the article in my email somewhere I will try to find it

If you are worried about a barrel burner build it long the first time then shorten it for the second go I always wanted one but go a 257 wby now instead maybe one day

Thanks
and
I stand corrected Up not Down
(Good Article)

Might be an interesting Single Shot Pistol project

Last edited:
a few years ago i built a 25-204 ruger , think 25x47mm improved. a 22'' barrel will get 3150fps out of a 75gr'r, 3000 from an 85 and 2800 from the 100gr. it works great for deer, a little heavy handed for saving fur.

PICT0015.jpg

aws

Since you haven't bought a gun yet for a donor action, I would suggest picking up a long action and going with a 25-06 AI. Lots more loading data out there, no problems with neck thickness when necking down and all of the performance that you will ever need.

In my rifle I can get 3850 FPS with 80 gr. TTSX and 3600 FPS with 100 gr. NBT.

277 to 257 I wouldnt be all that worried about thickness and he dont have to mess with fireforming

Dont get me wrong I respect the cartridge

Back