Too much ?

scat trax

can you use too much cover scent spray ? i use primos "earth blend" i spray so much of this stuff that today is wednesday and i last hunted on sunday and i can smell it coming out of my truck at 10 yards away. is it possible that i am useing too much and the coyotes smell that and run away ?

Scat,

In my opinion, the cover scent could be left on the shelf with the same results you are having now.

You just can't/won't fool a coyote's nose.

Just be obsessive with the wind when you make a stand, and shoot the coyotes before they get into your cone of scent and you'll be better off, than messing with cover scents.
wink.gif

Barry

Anything is possible.

I don't use cover scents. If you doused skunk spray all over yourself, to a coyote you'd just smell like a human that got sprayed by a skunk.

They miss nothing in the form of scent.

Use the wind to your best advantage when you set up your stand, and you should be able to kill most coyotes before they smell you.

Edited to add: Sorry Barry. I was writing while you were posting.

Daryl

Last edited:
If you want to use an earth scent for cover, Try Hunters Specialties scent waffers. keep your clothes in a scent bag with a waffer. Your clothes will pick up the scent, not your truck. But like Barry said "You just can't/won't fool a coyote's nose."

hey, thanks alot guys, you have just saved me a bunch of money. so do you do anything for scent or do you just wash your hunting clothes like regular clothes throw them on and head out ?

this is kinda funny, I like to use the cover scent as I hunt deer in NC. I like it so much that I want my truck to smell like it...lol. I use it as a car air freshner.

i dont mind the smell at all, just though that with such a heavy smell, it might be worse than not using any at all. so why would you use cover scent when deer hunting and not predator hunting. i hear that coyotes sense of smell is better than a deer.

Don't listen to these guys scat trax. I am just about to release an all new cover scent that is unlike any of the others you have tried. This stuff is guaranteed to work, unless you can prove it don't. Would you like to try an 8 oz bottle for the special introductory price of $12.95?

Buy a dozen and I'll send you ten. That's a great savings.

hey doggin coyotes, where should i send the check ? oh, wait a minute, if i buy 12 you will send me 10, you almost got me. you're a funny guy and yes i realize i am new to the sport which makes me a target to buy stuff i don't need. thanks for the offer though, and good luck with that.

Scat,

I've heard it put by someone else that a coyotes nose works like this:

When we walk into McDonalds, we smell hamburgers, frenchfries & McNuggets.

When a coyote walks into McDonalds, they smell sesame seeds, meat, cooking oil, tomatoes, potatoes...well, you get the picture.

It's a good way to describe what a coyote smells & determines are individual smells. It's 100 correct. Even though he may smell the cover scent, make no mistake, at the same instant he smells YOU too.

A better investment would be a wind direction powder bottle, and use it often.
wink.gif

Barry

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarScat,

In my opinion, the cover scent could be left on the shelf with the same results you are having now.

You just can't/won't fool a coyote's nose.

Just be obsessive with the wind when you make a stand, and shoot the coyotes before they get into your cone of scent and you'll be better off, than messing with cover scents.
wink.gif

Barry

DITTO

Quote:so why would you use cover scent when deer hunting and not predator hunting. i hear that coyotes sense of smell is better than a deer.

That's why cover scents don't fool a coyote's nose. They can smell the cover scent AND you, and likely every ingredient in the cover scent, and what soap you washed your clothes in, and the bit of oil on your boot sole that you stepped in last week.

But you're s'posed to shoot 'em before they smell that.

wink.gif

Daryl

I have never been one to use cover scents but after being busted a few times by circling animals I now leave my hunting coat and pants in my dogs bed to let her scent get heavily into the fabric. I really do believe that this has helped mask my scent while also giving off the smell of an intruding canine.

Its cheap and easy insurance, try it.

Originally Posted By: jcs271I have never been one to use cover scents but after being busted a few times by circling animals I now leave my hunting coat and pants in my dogs bed to let her scent get heavily into the fabric. I really do believe that this has helped mask my scent while also giving off the smell of an intruding canine.

Its cheap and easy insurance, try it. Interesting Idea!

Back