coyote skinning

scat trax

I just keep reading over and over how skinning is so easy, [beeep] am i doin wrong, it takes me at least an hour or more and so many people talk about it only takes 5 minutes. I am starting to think i am just a very weak person. I have the hardest time trying to pull the pelt off. Any suggestions ?

sorry i dont understand your terminology. i am new to all this but i cut them around the ankles and up to the belly pull the tail and start yanking and yanking to try to pull off the pelt, i usually have to use a knife and keep cutting to pull the pelt from the legs and head.

most fur buyers want case or tube skinned pelts, u want a gambrel rig, buy 1 or make 1, split the tail and skin it down, cut around the ankle split the hinds to the tootie, cut around thtootie , skin down off the back legs, now you can pull a little down around the stomach an ribs, cut around the front leg ankles work them down and through the tube, skin down the neck, when you get 2 the head take your time and visulize what u r doing on the reverse, cut the ears ,work through the eylids , and finish carfully at the nose dont worry about the lower jaw or lips thats it sounds easy but it will take practice or a good demo. from someone who knows how. good luck!

When you shoot it skin it a whole lot faster. The colder the harder to skin just like a deer . This means on site where you shot the yote hang in tree etc.

thanks guys, i guess i have never tried to skin one in the very spot i kill it, i would normally leave it in the back of the truck until i am done hunting.

I dont waste my time during the day i get out there hunt balls to the wall and get home and do them never had a proble also FYI the legs have no worth what so ever... you need the hind legs to stretch but just cutt the front legs off that will save you a ton of time

good luck this year

Allot of it IMO depends on equipment and how long wiley has been dead. Thye are a hard pull, but harder when cold.

I do my skinning at home at night, it takes 15 min to peel one usually, I scrape off excess fat and connecting tissue, wash and stretch the hide fur side in. Then flip it next day.

Last edited:
It takes practice thats for sure. Like stated the warmer the animal is the easyer it is to skin no doubth about that. I take my time on the tail and i can do one in 20 to 25 mins. once you start getting close to the chest thats where there is more musel tissue to the pelt and a litlte more knife work starts. use as little knife as you can but dont be affraid to use the knife when you need to.

Scat Trax,
This violin player hails a New York cab and asks "how to I get to Carnegie Hall?" The cab driver says "Practice, practice, practice".

A coyote was the hardest thing I've ever skinned. Took me and a friend nearly 2 hours and don't plan on doing it again. I can skin a deer in 5 minutes and a wild hog in about ten. Come to think of it, my first wild hog took a loooong time. I guess practice makes perfect.

Amen to skinning beaver! So my problem is how to skin 2 frozen coyotes. By the time I got home yesterday they were frozen solid! Garage is not heated and wife stays in house too much, hehe. Guess we'll get spring thaw one of these days.

Use an air compressor if you have one. Take blow gun and put under fur and let it do the work.It will peel the hide off the carcass. Blow it up like a balloon.

After you've got the hang of skinnin one while its hangin by its back feet you could try to learn how to ground skin one.A guy I know that has skinned litterally hundreds of coyotes is gonna show me how to do that one of these days.That would save a ton of time if you wanted to skin one out in the field and did'nt have any trees or anything like that to hang it from.
It takes me a while to skin a yote too so don't worry.I usually wait a day....sometimes two if I'm real busy before I get around to it.But as a few people have already mentioned its easier to skin one while its still warm.I can skin one thats only been dead an hour or two pretty quickly but not in 5 minutes.Getting the tail off of the tail bone always seems to take more time than anything.Sometimes they pop right out but more times than not they take alot of pullin and whatnot before they finally give in and slip off of the tail bone.I've ripped off more tails than anything because of that.Keep practicin you'll get faster after you've skinned a few.

Quote:Nothing good on youtube last time I checked

Ya those utube videos are tuff to watch

especially when Bubba breaks out the pruners and whacks the legs off, ALL 4 at the knee before he starts

Back