Varmint Grenades

Justin Huntsman

Hey guys just learned about the site and am excited to share the info I have and get lots and lots of info from you.

Anyways I just reloaded a bunch of Varmint Grenades for my 22-250 in 50 gr with 36 grains of varget pushing it. Im a pelt hunter and just wanted to know if anyone has had bad experiences with exit hole, or if there claim of no exit wound it true. Thanks a bunch!!

Welcome!

I have no personal experience, but everything I have read here seems to say that those are not very good. I don't remember exactly why. . . .seems like some said they splash.

Anyway, good luck, and enjoy the best web page on the net.

Welcome to PM Justin Huntsman!
grin.gif

Jack

Ya, you have to have an entry to get an exit. Those are varmint rounds, hence the name. They're designed to explode in something the size of a prairie dog, I wouldn't expect them to be able to punch muscle. No experience with them.

Barnes recomends a 1-10 twist rate or faster with the 50 gr Varmint Grenades. Most 22-250's are 1-12 or 1-14 twist rate. Unless you have to shoot lead free bullets stick with the good old lead bullets. Lead free bullets are very long for what they weigh. If you want to shoot lead free bullets in your 22-250 you may have to go down to the 36 gr Varmint Grenades.

i've shot a lot of the 36's and 53's out of my 250. 1-12 twist. the 53's don't shoot real but the 36 shoot great. as for fur it's a toss-up. the 36's work very well on smaller game like fox and jacks. they are horrible on coyotes unless head shot. mine are about 4200-4300 fps.

Shot them for the first time last night shot about a .5 inch group and 100 yrds and got lucky today and got to shoot a nice male yote at about 150 yrds. Exit was about the size of a nickel, easy sewing job ha ha ha Ill get a picture up later. Thanks a ton guys.... p.s. just picked up some 36's excited to try them!!!

I've been using them in my 220 swift and the results vary wildly. You really don't know what's going to happen from one shot to the next. The first I shot was at 70-80 yards broadside and the bullet did exit but with very minimal damage, I was very happy. I shot one later at 225 broadside and the exit hole was the size of a softball and it ran about 200 yards. I still can't believe that one. Another I shot was 160 or so. It was quartering hard towards me, the bullet passed through and darn near blew the back leg off. Then I hit two at 315ish with no exit. There were some others mixed in there that the bullet performed well on but like I said you just don't know with this bullet.

My advice would be to load this bullet way down if you really want to use it but then you defeat the purpose of a 22-250. I'm not going to use them in the swift anymore. The BC is so low that this isn't exactly a long range bullet anyways, there are better to be had.

When I used to have a 22-250 I had great results with Sierra, Speer, and Hornady 52 grn MHP. thats what I would recomend and thats what I'm switching back to with the swift. I'll use the VG's for my AR and see what happens but they may be retired to paper punching or P-dogs next time I go to WY.

Back