Utah State Calling Championship

I can understand keeping a hunt under wraps from the general public. The Idaho Predator Derby is taking a ton of flack. I have received e-mails and phone calls from all over for our event. Even from France....if you can believe it. Nikon has pulled their sponsorship, and Cabela's is thinking twice about it. I'm waiting for a final decision from them.
So in the future should calling contests be better publicized or not? Its a tough call. What do you guys think?

Generally takes about 6 dogs to win the Utah state hunt. 3 years ago some team killed 12, and you weren't in the money without 4. That was an exception to the rule thou. The first year we did it (2000) three dogs won it.
I agree with you Utah is some tough hunting but I normally can still come and kill 1 possibly 2. Our best year was 4 and we ended up taking 2nd.
If they did away with hunting on Private Property like Nevada state championship, and the big contest in Wyoming has, the numbers would come way down. At least thats the trend I've seen. When your calling coyotes that haven't heard a call since last year(if ever) things get way tougher.

I think advertising outside the circle of predator hunters is a mistake. I'm not just talking about contests either.
I'm very proud of my predator hunting heritage but there are many that don't understand it and unless you have time to debate this with everyone who is on the other side of the fence your better off just to keep it off the radar.
BASS (the Bass anglers society) has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting anti's and heck the fish live? There is not a contest, or a predator hunting company out there that could absorb that kind of hit.
There is several states that have introduced legislation banning contest hunting (I don't know if any have succeded)
I will say it shocks me that your having this problem in Idaho?

Good news.....Cabela's has decided to stand by us and remain a sponsor of the derby. Its good to see them continue to stand up for sportsmen.

Thanks a bunch Rick
Its nice to see someone say something nice and positive.
Its a shame you cant even talk about a stupid contest whithout someone acting like they got a diaper rash and lost there binki

OWYHEEYOTE
Thats sweet it would be a shame to loose Cabelas
How do I sign up for the Twin Falls Derby?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CWeeksI have heard that you can get an invite by asking for one. In fact I was asked last year to participate after inquiring about the hunt after a post on here.

I sent a PM the end of Sept to one of the people posting on this asking what dates the contests were and where. Guess what. I still dont know. The only one I have heard of is the one being discussed here and then it was only days before it was held. I know there are more. I get the feeling they want to keep these among their own little groups. I guess I will stick to supporting the ones in Idaho since they seem to want people to participate.

I tried to find out about it for years also, and I guess they don't want any new teams to enter. Guess they dont like a little competition
smirk.gif
! How did you do Boz?

Its not hard just got to talk to the guy.
Its a great contest no matter what big Al says.

Anyway seven dogs won some guys from out of state dont know any names .
Had a few cocktailes cant remember:)
4 was 2nd
and 3 was third

We had the spot called in ten coyotes 5 on the 2nd stand but at 390 it was hope to get one and watch them all run or try sounds tell they come in or leave, well they left
we only ended up shooting three and found one , I tracked one for 2 hours never did find it ran out of snow .
the rest came in behind us and or ran right past us . but thats hunting.

But when I get the guys Email addy all let everyone that wants in know it .
so who ever wants it send me a PM and ill get it to you when i get it. Because all sign ups are done by email now.

But the invite deal is just to past hunters , they do not advertise and kinda keep it as big secret for no other reason than to keep PEDA from bothering them about it.
But yea good contest the best ever done and Ive done a few.

Last edited:
Firedog1,

Team FOXPRO members Troy Butler and Tim Delph won the contest. They are from Montana, and are now heading to the Worlds.

Mike Dillon
let Troy and Tim know I gave them my congrats .
I have never seen an out of state team do worth a darn in the State Chapionship. that includes Les Johnson Not saying anything bad Les.
To come to Utah the hardest state in the west to call in coyotes and win the Chapionship is something worth talkin about.

Kmcintosh
I am not in the spot to give out that info its not my place to tell everyone where the hunt is put on at.
Call me an [beeep] or what ever , I just hunt in the thing im not the premoter.
And yes if I knew you and had seen you on here for years like the rest of us it would be differnt but i dont.
BoZ

Last edited:
Boz, no skin off my back.
Just wondering if I could get in for next year.
As I am new to this, I was trying to get a round about area as to where I could start at.

No problem.

Back