.25 acp 4"barrel for deer??

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

what good .25 acp 4"barrel for deer?? In our great Liberal state of washington the new handgun regs state any centerfire 24 cal or larger is legal. So any recomendations on a good .25 acp for deer has to have a 4" barrel. Dave

Last edited:
May as well use a wristrocket! I think the shot they use are about 25 cal.
laugh.gif

kevlars

Legislators are not required to pass any kind of IQ test. That is why so many idiots and ignorant people are attracted to politics.

Jack

That has been an option or joke for many years here. No doubt some moron will try it. Most people that stupid don't read the regs. A person would have to be able to run pretty fast to kill a deer with a .25. They are slow enough I have seen the bullet fly. Once shot a badger in the head at 2 ft and the bullet was just under the hide.

24 or larger is allowed in colorado too but the regulation also state it must have 1000ftlbs of energy at 100 yards for rifles and 550ftlbs of energy at 50 yards for handguns making the 25acp NOT Legal here. Key

I know of a gunsmith who shot himself in the chest with an 'unloaded' .25acp. He put his thimb over the hole and walked from his shop to his house about 50 yards away, got his wife to drive him to the hospital and was out within a day or so. I wouldn't even think about using one for deer.

I got a .32 acp and it won't penny an old oak stump at 5yrds. the bullets partially mushroom and bounce! amazed that someone would ponder that one, use a bow!!!!!!

I just can't figure out how your going to run fast enough to catch and hold that deer with one hand, so that with your free hand you can stuff that short barrel in his ear. Any further away and the deer might get mad at you for trying to kill it with a 25ACP

There is a good reason for the regulation. Page 63 of the Washington Big Game Regs: Dispatching Wounded Game - A hunter can only use a hunting method that meets the equipment requirements of his, or her tag to dispatch wounded game. Under the old regs you could not dispatch wounded game with a small handgun. They strongly recommend that you use a gun with enough power to hunt with. Apparently the WDFW does not consider hunters completely stupid.
Frank

Originally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterSo any recomendations on a good .25 acp for deer has to have a 4" barrel. Dave

don't exist

I'm not even going to comment on the .25 ACP. Most of us know what it is and it's limitations.

Seriously, are we such a sad society that we need a law to state what we con and can't use/do/think/say/etc???

A .25 ACP would technically be legal in Arizona, too. The regs simply state "Centerfire handgun", and a .25 ACP IS a centerfire. It's been that way for as long as I can remember (I was born here), yet I don't know anyone who's tried hunting deer with a .25 ACP. Maybe Arizona folks are smart enough to know better?

Maybe they're smart enough to do the same in your state, too.

Ya suppose the powers-that-be figured hunters were capable of choosing a correct cartrige (within certain guidelines), so felt no real need to regulate it any more than they have?

But if someone is so foolish that they think a .25 ACP is a good choice for their deer hunt, I saw let 'em go for ir.

After all, they can't hurt much. Right?

Use good judgement, and be glad that your law makers feel like they can trust you to do that. Push it too far the wrong way, and they'll abide your request; it'll be regulated so tight that you won't be able to sneeze down a pipe without permission and a license.

Daryl

Try using a pea shooter with black eyed peas. The results with a 25 acp will be about the same. Years ago I was given a Colt .25 and it has served me well.....as a fishing sinker!

I had a partner that got shot in the hand once with a 25 acp and it did not break the skin, but did dislocate his thumb. Guess it hit just right? But it did create an immediate a major problem for the guy that shot him.

Contrary to popular opinion, the 25 ACP is plenty for deer, you just have to adapt your hunting method.

Many folks hunt deer out of raised platforms in trees. When hunting with the 25 ACP, you jump out of the tree on the deer's back and stick the pistol in the deer's ear, pulling the trigger at the appropriate angle.

I would assume that the standard 50g FMJ would be the best to penetrate the super hard head of the deer just in case your aim was slightly off on the ear canal.

Back