Just starting out...........

Idaho220hunter

Newbie at predator hunting....have gone out a couple of times, using hand calls mostly, last trip used Cass Creek caller. Was able to call in a couple of magpies right to caller (most fawn bleats) and on second stand called in large hawk to about 30ft. over caller. No luck with the dogs however....located in Southwest Idaho...been mostly in Owyhees. Just wondering if calling in these critters is this an indication that calls working, just no dogs in neighborhood. Will be checking out othere areas, just curious about techniques.
Thanks.

Hey that is a good start. Everyone has to start some where. Keep practicing. I use to practice in the truck while I was going some where. It was funny to see what people would do when it was good weather for the windows were down. LOL....

Good luck!!!

if the bird come the call is working, might try staying on stand longer, make sure you can see downwind, make more sets.
just keep trying you will get into the dogs.

There is lots of good coyote country with no coyotes in it. I still cold call "doggy" looking country with success but try driving secondary roads until you start finding coyote dung or tracks in fresh snow. You'll have more luck if there are more coyotes.

Sometimes if a Magpie flys in a Coyote is not far behind. I'll start looking a litle harder when a Magpie flys in, the problem is that not all the time a Coyote is following.

Dont feel bad, I got started about 4 months ago and have only been able to call road runners. But I am trying every weekend, I will not give up.

Its to much fun to be out there kill or no kill.

I agree with all the other post, when i started i had one of the best mentors, but w/ this sight and all the books and videos out there u need 2 do your research. u could be "educating" alot of predators and in turn screwing it up for other pred. callers. read books and articles by gerry blair.

That would be the best advice I could give . Find an experienced predator hunter and have them go out with ya to help ya with setup and technigues .
Its kinda like learnin to rope off a green broke horse . You can can do it but it shore does make it tough on ya .
If not trial and error . the more ya rope off him the better he gets . lol

Originally Posted By: TrapShooter12Sometimes if a Magpie flys in a Coyote is not far behind. I'll start looking a litle harder when a Magpie flys in, the problem is that not all the time a Coyote is following.

TrapShooter is right, but over the years I found out that enough of the time there is a coyote there or not far behind so be patient and scan your area good. A coyote may just poke his head over and check the situation out! Good luck.

Thanks for all the hints. Have been reviewing a few videos
(Randy Anderson, Les Johnson, etc.) to get a glimpse of what's involved. Working on the calls, etc. Went out with a friend who has done this before and trying to learn the ropes.....everybody has to start somewhere and preparation and practice usually are the way you achieve something.
Will post pics of the first one (hopefully in near future).
Thanks again, great site.

Geo.

dang shanedogg kinda harsh words. how you going to tell a new guy trying to learn to hunt and have fun that hes going to screw it up for the other predator hunters. maybe idaho doesent have a rich daddy to buy him a guide or "mentor"

Back