how to make e-caller

radio shack, any store seems to get this question since they seemed to know exactly what i was talkin about,amplifire, and horn fused w/ discman.run wire from discman 2 amp from amp 2 horn, buy pred. discs from various sights, and you have a jon stewart type call for 1/2 the price. dont be scared to tell the radio shack geek what u r building and they will help u out .

Go to varmint al's page, he has a buildup. It's pretty simple, costs 30-40 when it's all said and done.

But there are a couple pre-mades out there for 30-40. Had I known before I built 2, I would have just bought them.

We made one out of an mp3 player and a amplified speaker. I have alot of sounds on cd so I put them on my computer and downloaded them on the mp3 player. Works good, but you can pick up a used js preymaster 3 for under $100 with several sounds.

I used the instructions from varmint al's but I used a different speaker and amp. The speaker is a Speco spc-5p and the amp is a 20 watt bridged audio amplifier. I used speaker wire and soldered on the jacks and plugs from radio shack. I also used 50 foot of speaker wire between the amp and the mp3 player. You also need an adapter that converts from stereo to mono at the mp3 player or cd player. I hot glued everything into a large mug. The amp can be powered with 12 to 18 volts so I wired in two 9 volt batteries. I also took the jack and 12 volt plug from an old answering machine and wired the jack in and cut the plug off of the cord and crimped on spade terminals so I can hook up a rechargeable 12 volt battery that last a lot longer than the two 9 volts. Also with an extra 12 volt power adapter you can plug it into a wall outlet to play with it in the house and not run down the batteries but I found out not to use it in the house while the wife is sleeping, she gets REALY mad.
Here are some pictures of my E-caller.

100_1548.jpg

100_1549.jpg

100_1563.jpg

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceJust get yourself an MP3 and buy a Cass Creek Big Horn speaker ($39.95) and call it done.

CB

Thats what I did saved a lot of time and it works great! rp

There is a guy that did A whole write up on this on nodak outdoors. This is were I assume you got the mug idea ect... How much soldering do you have to do with that different amp?
Originally Posted By: 7mmCritterGetterI used the instructions from varmint al's but I used a different speaker and amp. The speaker is a Speco spc-5p and the amp is a 20 watt bridged audio amplifier. I used speaker wire and soldered on the jacks and plugs from radio shack. I also used 50 foot of speaker wire between the amp and the mp3 player. You also need an adapter that converts from stereo to mono at the mp3 player or cd player. I hot glued everything into a large mug. The amp can be powered with 12 to 18 volts so I wired in two 9 volt batteries. I also took the jack and 12 volt plug from an old answering machine and wired the jack in and cut the plug off of the cord and crimped on spade terminals so I can hook up a rechargeable 12 volt battery that last a lot longer than the two 9 volts. Also with an extra 12 volt power adapter you can plug it into a wall outlet to play with it in the house and not run down the batteries but I found out not to use it in the house while the wife is sleeping, she gets REALY mad.
Here are some pictures of my E-caller.

100_1548.jpg

100_1549.jpg

100_1563.jpg

All I had to solder was the two power wires and the two speaker wires to the amp. I looked at a lot of different posts on several different web sites and put all of the ideas that sounded the best together and made my e-call. I thought it would work best to work from other peoples mistakes. I am really impressed with my e-call for what I have in it.

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceJust get yourself an MP3 and buy a Cass Creek Big Horn speaker ($39.95) and call it done.

CB

Wiil the cass creek big horn work with my cd player?

I'm using the home made ecaller per the home page and find that there is a lot of hiss as I turn up the RS amplifier. Not tryin to call snakes!
frown.gif

That hiss must be going out to the dogs even when turned down so I can't hear it. I had it turned down pretty good and was in a three minute silence when a mulie buck came walking right to the caller. He froze and just stood staring at the caller from about 30 yards. Never winded me, but I moved a bit and he bolted.

I am going to order one of those amps then it looks like it would be really nice. Is there any distortion or fuzzy sound the amp puts off?
Originally Posted By: 7mmCritterGetterAll I had to solder was the two power wires and the two speaker wires to the amp. I looked at a lot of different posts on several different web sites and put all of the ideas that sounded the best together and made my e-call. I thought it would work best to work from other peoples mistakes. I am really impressed with my e-call for what I have in it.

Yes it will work with anything that has a 3.5mm jack I know what you mean about the amp hiss!
Originally Posted By: LongcruiseOriginally Posted By: Chris_BriceJust get yourself an MP3 and buy a Cass Creek Big Horn speaker ($39.95) and call it done.

CB

Wiil the cass creek big horn work with my cd player?

I'm using the home made ecaller per the home page and find that there is a lot of hiss as I turn up the RS amplifier. Not tryin to call snakes!
frown.gif

That hiss must be going out to the dogs even when turned down so I can't hear it. I had it turned down pretty good and was in a three minute silence when a mulie buck came walking right to the caller. He froze and just stood staring at the caller from about 30 yards. Never winded me, but I moved a bit and he bolted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DstratI am going to order one of those amps then it looks like it would be really nice. Is there any distortion or fuzzy sound the amp puts off?
Originally Posted By: 7mmCritterGetterAll I had to solder was the two power wires and the two speaker wires to the amp. I looked at a lot of different posts on several different web sites and put all of the ideas that sounded the best together and made my e-call. I thought it would work best to work from other peoples mistakes. I am really impressed with my e-call for what I have in it.

My amp doesn't make any sounds until I push play on the mp3 player and it is loud and clear all the way to max volume. I turn the volume on the amp all the way up and control the volume of the call with the mp3 player. The mp3 player will cut out at max volume if you don't use a stereo to mono adapter. The 9 volt batteries don't last real long but the rechargeable last a long time.
some of the sounds I downloaded had some noise in them so I cleaned them up with audacity.

Found the Cass Creek speakers on sale at Cabela's for $20. Got the cheepaest MP3 walmart had and went to Varmit Al's to try Audacity. Everything is awesome. I am making full sequences for the MP3. I need to pull away from work long enough to try it out but I think it will give me one more option besides the hand calls and my PM4.

Just added the Azden WLX -PRO to mine. I like the idea of the remote capabilities. Big test will be in a couple weeks after muzzleloader season is done. But I've already bagged 2 during regular deer season with the Encore .50 cal. DRT. After deer season I'll be switching to the .223 barrel just for dogs.

Back