My first predator bowhunt - experience something similar to buck fever...

silenthunter

Hi everybody,

Well first off here is the gear used:

Bear Lights Out bow
Easton carbon arrows with easton X2 100grains broadheads

Ghillie suit
Wildlife research center Scent killer
Mojo Decoy
Phantom Caller with extension cord and speaker

So after finding a spot that looked great for coyote living, hunting (and along with scats), i set up with my back on a tree on a steep hill that leads to a swamp and field. my area at the edge is mostly pine trees wjere deer usually gather in winter for shelter (and where i had alos found carcasses before).

So I set up my Mojo and speaker about 20 feet downhill and start calling. It took maybe 20 minutes and I see this huge coyote trotting over. (Where I hunt - southern Ontario and Quebec, coyotes are known to be hybrids with wolves, so they usually weight around 50-70lbs).

He came to about 30 feet of me and I just started shaking so much I could not even aim with my bow and my heart was pounding so loud I couldnt hear myself think.

I guess I got scared, which surprised me. Would you think these animals could attack me if i miss my shot? I mean I would surprise them at close range And would a knife be enough to defend myself? I didnt want to bring in a rifle along with all the other equipment and Im really up for the bow hunt challenge... Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted By: Heavy DropCarry a side-arm my friend, you can still own a handgun in Canada, can't you?

HVY DROP

We can own them, but the only place we can take them is to the range in a locked case and with trigger lock on.

As to the OP, I think I'd be nervous as well with a coyote that size that close to me with just a bow.

Our coyotes are not near that big but ive never hesitated to try to get an arrow in one. When I miss they run when I try to draw they run. Heck when I hit them they run, just not as far. I would say shoot. I get excited to, thats what makes it so much fun.

That's coyote fever. Ain't it great. It gets a little easier to deal with when you have more experience. That sensation you felt bends rifle barrels and weakens bowstrings.

Yeah I have to admit it was a long time since I felt such a thrill.. last time was my first time doing white water kayaking
smile.gif

After describing my experience to a local hunting store, the guy there told me it is quite possible it was a timber wolf, but then again its what the coyotes hybrids are mixed with. But he told me I shoulnt be scared unless they are in a pack in hunt mode and of course suggested a portable tree stand, but said I should get more confident after a few sessions.

I wish I could carry a side-arm, but I will just try to control my own reactions, being the ultimate predator!
wink.gif

Can you carry a pump shotgun?? It might be a little heavy to pack but I would really like something just in case a real wolf, bear, or lion showed up looking for lunch.

Back