Whats a good all around .22 pistol

cathntr

I was just wondering what you guys think is a good all around .22 pistol. Semi-auto or revolver, its doesnt really matter. I have a Smith&Wesson 22A-1 and it is a good gun, just looking for something different as it is a little too picky with ammunition. It will shoot an entire bulk box of Winchester ammo with very few misfires but a complely different story with Remington or Federal. Out of the ten round clip maybe 6 will fire the first time. Im sure this probably has alot to do with the ammo as well as the firing pin is hitting all of the shells but they just arent firing the first time every time. Any advice on which gun to get or any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks Josh

i got my wife a Walther p22. They are also picky on ammo. I must have gotten a good one though no major issues. I have a bronwing buckmark and i must say the sights are a lot better on the buckmark. Both get a lot of rounds each year and perform well for the money

I have a Browning Buckmark, and hardly ever have a mis-fire. It feed everytime too, unless I am shooting the cheap Remington. It is a pretty accurate gun as well. I chose this one over the Ruger semi, because it was a lot easier to break down and clean and get back together. Barrels are easier to change out as well.

Ruger Auto
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Oh sure, the Ruger auto. Been making them now almost unchanged for 60 years. Got three of them. One of them has accounted for hundreds of ground squirrels and a good hundred prairie dogs even.

If you want a double action wheelgun then a Smith and Wesson K-22 would be the most wanted here.

A single action would simply be the Ruger Single Six.

Ifso, facto.

I am 22LR pistol and revolver poor, and can personally attest that everything mentioned so far would make a good choice.

If you want something a little bit unique, you might try a Sig Classic in 22 LR in the various models from the 226 through the 229. They are excellent pistols and the only weakness I find in them - the lack of a last shot hold open follower in the magazine - can easily be cured with an aftermarket follower from Sigpower.com. I own one on the 229 frame, and it is an excellent shooter which can easily be converted to a CF round with a Sig conversion slide and barrel.

I also own a Sig Mosquito - a 90% sized 22LR model of the Sig 226 - which has been a very reliable pistol for me. Lots of folks complain about the Mosquito, but mine has never failed even once. I use nothing but good quality high velocity ammo in it such as CCI MiniMags and Winchester Super X high velocity ammo (plated bullets). The instructions that come with the Mosquito tell you to only use good quality ammo in the pistol and to avoid the cheapy promotional ammo.

Anyway....a couple of other choices if you're interested in looking. But, all the others that have been mentioned above will provide lots of good 22LR shooting.

-BCB

Browning Buckmark.
It's got a better trigger than the Ruger, and it's easier to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning.
I had a Buckmark Target model, and now have one with a 4 1/2" barrel.
Both are accurate, however I sold the Target model as I'm not into 22 rimfire target shooting with a pistol.
Probably the best of the best semi auto's available today is the S&W Model 41. That's a seriously good semi auto.

My favorite are the K-22, Ruger Mark II and Dan Wesson (with the interchangable barrels).

But it sounds like you either have a weak hammer spring or a worn firing pin.

It shouldn't be much of a challenge to get it firing reliably.

Rimfirecentral has some guys that could probably help you troubleshoot it.

Well unlike a lot of firearms questions that is an easy one without an unambiguous or unequivocal answer. And that would be one of the RUGER semiautos of whatever variety suits your tastes and needs. TnTnTn

Ruger is having to many quality control issues right now. Go with the S&W 22A. great little pistol and reasonably priced. very accurate and shoots everything I feed it.

Well I own the Browning Buckmark and absolutely love it. I really like the Ruger's as well. I went with the Buckmark because it felt better in my hand. Out of those two, there is no wrong answer.

I bought my wife a Walther P22 a few years ago. It was a neat little gun, however it was very ammo picky, and not as accurate. Maybe in a rest it would be, but it was smaller and a shorter barrel made it much more difficult to be accurate as compared to the Buckmark for me. Take into account that I am not an expert pistol shot.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Colt. I have a colt 22lr 4.5 inch barrel, and love it. Isn't picky on ammo. I'll post a picture when I get out of class.

Originally Posted By: claimbusterS&W K22 6"
Agreed

Lots of good choices out there. For me it's a 1947 K22..
Arguably the most accurate 22 Revolver ever made,, and when ya shoot a handgun as poorly as I do that's important.
CZ452044.jpg

Good Luck, what ever your choice..
Charlie

Originally Posted By: WebbyAr15I'm suprised no one has mentioned Colt. I have a colt 22lr 4.5 inch barrel, and love it. Isn't picky on ammo. I'll post a picture when I get out of class.

I agree that there are some good Colt 22LR revolvers and pistols. The problem is they are few and far between today, and you won't find a good New Frontier SA, a Colt Woodsman, or a Colt Diamondback laying around in every gun shop or store waiting to be snatched up...

-BCB

Back