2 Cur pups left

Here is one that took to the water to get away from Rebel and the pups. The pups are about 8 months old in this pic.

100_0107.jpg

How soon did you start your dogs on coyotes? I will be getting one and I want to start him right away but not too soon.

gonzaga,

I don't start my pups on live coyotes until 6 to 9 months old, depending on how mature and aggressive they act. There are a lot of things you can teach them before then.

I mostly let them be puppies and play tug of war with a coyote hide. Somewhere between 5 and 6 months (again depending on the pup) I let them wool a fresh dead coyote with Rebel (or what ever adult dog I have at the time).

Larry

Larry aren't these pups double bred Rebel?
Boys Rebel is one of the finest cur dogs you will find for coyotes. I know Larry is too humble to say so but I have seen this dog work many of times and he is just consistant. He knows his job and just goes out and gets it done. You can just plan on it. The BS stops with Rebel.
Some good blood in these pups. And that is a good start.

All I have to do is go and get him now. I am getting excited. This will give me an excuse to hunt some coyotes all year long until he is a big boy. Thanks guys, any training tips that you guys could give me I sure would appreciate it. I know how to train a bird dog, but this will be something new for me.

Thanks,

gonzaga

Yes, they are double bred Rebel. I would have gotten one of the females to breed back to Rebel if I didn't have my hands full this year. I don't like to train too many young dogs at a time. I just can't give them enough individual attention.

Maybe Jason will have another litter next year??????

Larry

Not sure about another litter. This was my first litter and it was a lot of work! We will see. At least I know what I will be in for. That is also an incredible picture! I need to carry my camera more!

Your the MAN, YUCCA. I really do appreciate it. What are you shooting there in your avatar? That is a nice looking coyote there, pretty neat coloring.

Keep in mind the sportsman's challenge is the week after next. If your coming in for that you can pick up the pup at the same time. We also have several teams from your area hunting the challenge that might could haul it all the way up to you.

The old savage coach gun. I was just messing around with it a couple of years ago. It bites when you shoot it so it stays put up.

Back