My first triple!!

Z

Thanksgiving morning I went out and called one of my old reliable spots. I get coyotes on this stand 50% of the times I call it. It is a big, deep coulee in some breaks that is shaped like a funnel and I can pull coyotes off the river bottom or adjoining deep coulees because they funnel to this coulee. It is on a farm of a friend of mine. I park about 300 yards from the top of the coulee and sneak over the top and set up about half way down the side and have a perfect spot to set up next to some sage and a clay bank. When you look at where I am sitting you would never pick me out if you didn't know I was there. It is a perfect setup and any coyotes that try to come over the top of either ridge on each side of me will skyline themselves. However, I have only had one do that. They all just follow the natural funnel and I am sitting at the end of a box canyon and the only way out is straight up past me or back the way they come in. On this morning I am looking northwest towards the river bottom a mile away and have a slight breeze in my face. I get all situated with my sticks set up and proceed on the Tally-ho. I do my thing for about 20 minutes and am about ready to get up when I hear a short howl over the ridge and I figure it is about 300 yards away. I give a short blast on the Tally-ho and about 20 seconds later around the corner down in the bottom about 200 yards away lopes a coyote. I get my sticks up and he gets to about 85 yards(later lazered) and stops facing me. I take the shot straight on and he folds right there. I do a short ki-yi and another coyote appears on a ridge 300 yards straight out in front of me. I gave him one blast on the Tally-ho and he comes straight down that slope that would make an Olympic ski-jumper hesitate like he was shot out of a cannon. He hit the trail the first coyote came in on and loped in and spooked when he hit the dead coyote and ran off to the side about ten yards and looked back at the coyote laying there and I put one behind the shoulder. Bang, flop. I sit back enjoying the rush and letting myself calm down for a minute. And then I set my gun down and my sticks and stand up to pat myself on the back. All of a sudden I see movement in the bottom of the coulee and a third coyote is coming in on the trail the first one did. I sit back down, pick up my rifle and then my sticks. He stops about 95 yards out about 10 yards back from the first coyote. I put one in his chest and he doesn't move. Three coyotes all laying within ten yards of each other. Believe me, it was a morning to give thanks. My first triple and it couldn't have been scripted better. They all were males, probably two year olds because they weren't pups, but were in awful good shape. I was shooting my 223 with 52 grain Sierra Match hollow points behind 25.0 grains of 3031. I got back to the farmhouse for Thanksgiving dinner. A morning to be remembered. I will tell about my afternoon hunt in another post.

2009Thanksgivingcoyotehunt004.jpg

This was my first attempt at posting a picture and guess I did something wrong as you have to click on the link first to get the pic to come up.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! I have called triples... Never been skilled enough to take them all out

Nice Work

Last edited:
Gonzaga, those are homemade sticks make of the $1.59 little fiberglass electric fenceposts and some 5/8 inch fuel line with a couple of rubber castration bands holding them together for the pivot point. They are painted a camo tan or left white for in the snow. $5.00 for the whole shootin' match and I can lose them and not feel bad. Plus, they work as good as any shooting sticks you will buy.

Mtbadger, I was up on the hi-line at my brother's in-laws. That is the Missouri in the tree-line in the background.

Back