Arizona Hunt

E5B

This week I found myself in SE Az at my inlaws and decided to call the area. I've always wanted to hunt this area but things just never worked out. After a few PM's back and forth, me and guy from another forum decide to give it a try. We met up yesterday morning and set out for a half days hunt.

Gear: I took my CZ 527 American in 204 topped with VX-III 3.5-10x40 shooting HSM ammo 33 gr Calhoon hollow points, FoxPro Fury, Mossy Oak Brush outfit. Daryl was using his CZ 527 Varmint 17 Rem VX-II 3-9x40. We both had a hand call on hand. The Fury was set out at 40-60 yards in front of us on each stand. We made 5 stands:

Coyote #1 (second stand):

Time of Day: 0800
Temp: 50 Deg
Time on set: > 5 min
Distance of shot: 40 yards

I started off with a snow shoe in distress from the Fury. At about the 3 min mark I see a coyote crest the small ridge. At about 40 yards I shot her. (my first Az coyote)
IMG_20341.jpg

IMG_20353.jpg

Coyote #2 & 3 (fourth stand):

Time of Day: 1000
Temp: 65 Deg
Time on set: 10 min
Distance of shot: 60 yards / 30 yards

I started off with a snow shoe in distress from the Fury and alternated between that and lightning Jack. At about the 4 min mark I see a coyote trotting in from about 200 yards. At about 60 yards I shot him. Roughly 2 minutes later another coyote came from the same area but circled around to my left and I shot him at about 30 yards. We also called in third coyote on that stand that I never saw and Daryl couldn't get a shot off. I skinned this one out. The pelt on these things out here are amazing!!

IMG_20392.jpg

IMG_20372.jpg

Our last stand was quite interesting.

Time of Day: 1230
Temp: 70 Deg
Time on set: 60 min

10 minutes into the stand 2 Javelina run up the Fury and get as close as 12 yards from me grunting and hair standing up. Daryl gave them a few grunts in return and that seemed to spark their interest. After a minute or so they meander off. Right after they leave I notice a curious looking "yucca stump" at about 600 yards a few ridges away. For some reason I keep staring at it and I finally see it's head move. After some observation through my scope I realize it's a big bobcat sitting there staring in our direction. I quickly switch to some wookpecker calls. At about the 40 minute mark he trots about 30 yards closer and again sits down. He just didn't seem that interested/hungry. At 45 minutes he went down into a draw and isn't seen again. Me and Daryl wait until the hour mark then decide to call it a day. It was good to see the cat and it was a nice sized one at that.

It was a good day: 5 stands, 4 coyotes, 3 coyotes down, one bobcat and two javelina.

I'm gonna hunt again this weekend with another guy. I'll post the results.

BTW, I don't care what anyone says, it's not 10 times easier to kill a coyote in the west, you have to work for these dogs!!!

Dave

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After Thankgiving dinner me and the wife unit took a little walk behind her parents house up in the hills. We always hear coyotes in the area and decide to give it a try. This is Jess' first time calling.

Gear: I took my CZ 527 American in 204 topped with VX-III 3.5-10x40 shooting HSM ammo 33 gr Calhoon hollow points, FoxPro Fury, Mossy Oak Brush outfit. Jesswas using her CZ 527 M1 American 223 topped with a Mueller Sport Dot 3-10x44. The Fury was set out at 30 yards in front of us on the other side of a steep draw which was a steep slope. We were set up so we had good visibility on the slope and the draw.

Time of Day: 1700
Temp: 60 Deg
Time on set: 10 min
Distance of shot: 40 yards

As usual, I alternate between Snow Shoe in distress and Lightning Jack but I also through in a little woodpecker. Three minutes into a the first fox comes in and Jess shoots him right above the call. Two minutes later, two more come in and I shoot the closer one because I never see the third. After I shoot I see the third and drop him too. After a couple more minutes we see a forth up the hill but never could get a shot. Not a bad stand: 10 minutes, 4 fox, 3 down.

IMG_20442.jpg

IMG_20402.jpg

IMG_20462.jpg

Went out yesterday evening and again this morning. I was hunting with Rob S. Stand up guy!

2 coyotes, 1 bobcat. Not bad.

The bobcat was an interesting stand. It was 1100 and the wind was picking up so I decide to use a hand call vice the fox pro. We were set up on a high bank of a dry creek with a couple of cotton wood trees and lots of mesquite brush. After 8 minutes of calling I see this cat sneaking up right below us...20 Yards!!! The winds were 15 gusting 25 and he came from the downwind side of us.

IMG_20521.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

We made a couple of more stands after the bobcat but didn't see anything. The wind was getting on up there so we decided to call it a day around 1300.

I'll try again tomorrow. Supposed to be cold. Should be good.

BTW, here is a nice AZ sunrise. I took this this morning just before our first stand.

IMG_20482.jpg

Great job friend. You had some good action and connected the dots to make some good kills. I am glad that you were able to hook up with someone to go hunt with you. I think it is a nice gesture when any of us can do that.
Really cool that your lady went with you too!

E5B,

I'm a member over on this board, too.

Looks like you had plenty of fun even after that first day. Congrat's on the successes!

Daryl

I just got another text from him, and he got another coyote this morning. He'll have to share the details, but it sounds like he's having a great time here in southern Az.

There's a storm moving through, and it's likely helping things a bit...'cept fot the wind, which isn't bad today.

I'm busy today and tomorrow, but I'll be calling on Tuesday. S'posed to be pretty stormy tonight and tomorrow, with snow and such, then be clear and cold Tuesday.

Should make for some awsome calling!

Good luck Dave!

Daryl

You're mopping up the predators down South. Why not slip over the boarder into NM for a change of scenery? They have better density numbers that AZ I hear. Give the AZ coyotes, foxes and bobcats a chance to regroup?

Thanks, fellas. I'm having an abosolute blast and have met some great folks. Daryl, many thanks for the hunt and again, I'm sorry you didn't get to shoot. Rob S, I had a great time. Both Stand Up guys!!! Another thanks is in order to Alan (An22) for pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully we get to hunt together before I leave.

I was born and raised in West Texas (Davis Mtns area) and is similar in topography to this area of Arizona so I feel at home here. The reason I'm in NC is due to the job.

Anyway, went out solo for a few hours this morning and had some luck (hence Daryl's post about my text) on my second stand. I decided, for whatever reason, that I was going to use my hand call (Dan Thompson PC-2) and set up overlooking a nice draw with a brushy bottom. 15 minutes into the stand I happen to look over my left shoulder and see a coyote standing at the crest of a small ridge. After a few seconds he sets off towards me and I slowly swing my CZ on him, gave him a bark to stop him and dropped him. Decent sized male.

Time of Day: 1000
Temp: 40 Deg
Wx: Light rain, winds light and variable
Time on set: 15 min
Distance of shot: 50 yards

I waited until I got to the house so the wife could take a pic.

IMG_20542.jpg

On the third stand I set up on an even bigger draw and went back to the FoxPro. After 20 minutes of calling I see a coyote on the other side of the draw at about 500 yards running left to right perpendicular to my set up. I tried several different calls but he wasn't buying what I was selling. He was in a slow trot and eventually he stopped and looked over his left shoulder (away from me) just as another coyote was running down the hill right at the first and chased him off. I watched them for another minute or so until they were out of sight. Interesting.

Hopefully I can get another couple days worth of hunting done before we head back.

It's been a memorable trip so far: 6 coyotes, 3 fox, 1 bobcat and met some outstanding fellow callers!

Dude, I've got a pretty open schedule and I am close to you. Give me a call I will go out and call with you. I just got back from NC yesterday. PM me and I will send you my #.

HVY DROP

Quote:I'm sorry you didn't get to shoot.

Hey, I said before we left that I wanted you to do the shooting (not that there was any need or reason for me to hold back). It's all good in my world.

I live here, and can hit these areas any time. I've been calling here since 1976, so when I can take another fella into some good country and he gets some coyotes, you won't hear me complain.

You're a good hunter, with sharp eyes and a steady hand, and I'm glad you're having good successes during your time here.

And I hope the success contirnues. Good luck!

Daryl

Great story! I was going to get out this morning and do a couple of stands, but the wife trumped me...to do some Christmas shopping
frown.gif
..Oh well I still managed to get a hunt in today by reading your story Great Job!!

Dave, great time hunting with you. And yes it was amazing to find out that you CAN call in a bobcat no less on a very, very windy day. Glad you are leaving today so that there are some animals left for us natives to hunt! LOL Thanks for the fun and comraderie and thank you for your service to our great nation.

Bob

Back