Mangy little female.

gonzaga

I set up on my first stand and had the whirling woodpecker and another decoy set up about 100 yds in front of me. After about 15 minutes I grabbed my binoculars and started to scan the hillside for a bobcat that might have hung up and just as I am bringing my binoculars down, I see a flash to the right of the decoys about 30 yds. I put the glasses down and start to get my rifle, the coyote is just standing there looking at the decoys, but he doesn't like what he sees so he is starting to leave by now so I get ready and rush the shot and miss.
So I pack up my stuff and walk about a 1/2 mile further and get a nice little set up overlooking a couple of draws. I set up the decoys get out the foxpro and get setup. After about 5 minutes of Jackrabbit distress, I decided to use my hand calls. I busted out the rubber rabbit(carver calls) and the Killer call(rich cronk). I use this combo for about 5 more minutes and I see a flash from the right side of a draw, at first I thought I had seen a fox but I wan't sure. So I am scanning the area for about 5 minutes waiting for him to show up. I look to the left side of the opening, and I see a coyote walking towards the decoys but stops and sits down(190 yds). Stays there for about a minute, and starts to walk away from me limping, (so I thought to myself, maybe I didn't miss earlier)and toward the top of a hill and stops to look back at us, quartering towards me, so I shoot(260yds) and she bolts off and runs about another 50 yds and piles up. When I got up to here I hit her right about where I was aiming, bad angle good results. She had quite a bit of mange going on, her stomach was completely scabbed up and was losing hair all over her body. She didn't have a right front foot either, looks like she lost it in a trap or something. It was an old wound. I took pics with my phone but I can't figue out how to load them up.
But the best of the whole day is this is the first coyote or anything else for that matters for my new SavagePredator 22-250. I am starting to like that gun now.

Back