best coyote caliber

Where are you hunting? The terrain can dictate which caliber is the "best" There are a lot of "bests" out there. Situation will dicate

I'm not afraid to start this hornet's nest going!!!!

22-250 hands down!

In reality though the answer is, what ever gun I have in my hands when the coyote shows up. It may be a .22LR, it may be my 22-250 or 30/30, it may be a 12ga. slug gun.

CB

Originally Posted By: RHcoyotehunterim south of kenmare, nd

I think for your location the 22-250 or the 220 swift are going to be fantastic calibers if I were to only have one. Which I have several, but my choices are the 22-250 in a bolt gun, and a .223 in an AR platform

The 250 and the 220 are very fast and very flat. You will have a better choice of factory ammuntion in the 250 if you do not reload.

So I guess, I'll have to vote for the 22-250 as well.

I'm not sure what your area looks like. But a 223. Does it just fine around here. Much cheaper to shoot as well. Look into Ar-15s. Versitile, easy to take apart, and clean. And you can get them in many different calibers.

Originally Posted By: Va243hntrI'll Say it just cause I like the round . 243 will do anything that the 22's will plus some +1 on the .243. Yes I have and use a .204, it works real good with the right bullets, to a maximum range of about 300yds maybe a little farther. Now when it comes to prarie dogs the .204 really shines. IMO

Originally Posted By: Va243hntrI'll Say it just cause I like the round . 243 will do anything that the 22's will plus some

To include destroying pelts, if you don't care about pelts then the .243 is hard to beat, no matter how you look at it.

and the 22-250 don't , no I dont keep the pelts . If the pelts were the issue then 204, 221 fireball , 17 fireball in that order . within range of the little rounds where I hunt the rounds are just too light , nothin like callin yotes in the mountains round here .

22-250 are great on pelts. I never get exits on chest shot yotes. I won't argue that a .243 has a lot going for it but they are dang hard on pelts.

Originally Posted By: Va243hntrand the 22-250 don't , no I dont keep the pelts . If the pelts were the issue then 204, 221 fireball , 17 fireball in that order . within range of the little rounds where I hunt the rounds are just too light , nothin like callin yotes in the mountains round here .

I does for sure depending on bullet choice and distance. There is no doubt about that. The right bullet choice and you don't. Not trying to get an in arguement with you. I'm just stating that the .243 is going to be worse. Even better choice would be the 25-06, but it is expensive and really tears up pelts.

There is always a "better" caliber to matter how you look at it, but traditionally the .243 is harder on them than the 250

Originally Posted By: RHcoyotehunterwhat has the best nock down power for yotes 22-250 or 223 or 204

Of the three the 250 will, but nothing will overshadow a well placed shot, no matter the caliber.

I guess it probably boils down to whatever suits your fancy and what you are comfortable with. There's a lot to be said for a rifle that you have confidence in and one that just feels right.

I have a lot of calibers mentioned; 223, 22-250, 243, 25-06 plus several others, and I wouldn't hesitate to use either. But for me, where I live and hunt, my Dtech AR 6x45 fits the bill nicely. It's a 6mm caliber out of a .223 case, shooting 75 gr. Sierra HPs. Good medicine for coyotes (in my limited experience with it) and darn good on bobcats too.

The milder report and recoil of the .223 sure has it's benefits. And if your shooting a repeater it doesn't hurt so much when you can't find all your brass. It is one of the most reloader friendly cartridges ever devised with a plethora of bullets to choose from as well. Oh yeah, I almost forgot...I have a 6mm Rem I'm often partial to as well!

Back