Is a skunk a varmint? I got one with my bow. Pics...

LeviSS

I had a skunk come by me a couple days ago. I had never seen one in the wild, other than while driving. I had seen a skunk pelt at a gander mountain and thought it would be cool to have one. It came rummaging from behind me to the right, came right under my stand, and then went past me in front to my left. He was at 12 yards when I shot him. I was pretty suprised when I hit him, and really suprised when I saw that I made a really good shot on him...right through the vitals. He shot a spray when the arrow hit him and didn't even twitch after that. I carried him back to the truck, drove to my dads house, then realised that I wasn't gonna have the stomach to skin him out. He smelled BAD. The smell went through my glove and my hand just stopped smelling faintly of skunk. My truck still smells. Pretty cool memory though.

100_0053.jpg

100_0051.jpg

Yeah, in IL we can shoot them year round. The only time you can't is during shotgun deer season, same as coyote. So, I didn't know if that lumps them into the varmint category or not. We don't really have varmints...even oppossums have a season.

Even though they are not a high value varmint target, in Utah I would say yes they are a varmint.
Congratulations.
Good pic's.

Last edited:
Yep I classify them as a varmint.Their legal to shoot year round in Oklahoma and if I see what thats exactly what I try to do.Not with a bow but they get shot if I see em'.If you ever see a momma skunk and a row of babys following her get a shotgun and you can wipe them all out with one or two shots.My uncle killed a 7 of them with 2 shots with a .410 one time.
I kinda want to shoot one with a bow just to see if I could hit it.They really are hard to hit even with a .22 sometimes.There aint much too them except fur.Anyway that was a good shot!

Drove by one antelope hunting this week that turned out to be in a trap.
Flipped over and sprayed my truck. Thank my God the window was up! I
glocked his sorry [beeep] and wiped the truck down as much as I could. The smell
stayed in the mud on the lower half and until I got to a car wash it would waif
in the cab every time I opened the door. They seem to be getting really prevalent in the suburbs and rural areas around towns. They kill off a lot of
the upland bird population by eating their eggs. I put them in with coons, porcupines and possums. To be trapped, shot or poisoned when ever the law
permits.

I used to get them in my coyote sets all the time..It was all I could do to get them out of my traps..my hats off to you for getting it back to your truck!!I have heard that the best way to skin, is to skin it underwater Good Luck..

you know if you enject them with acetone in the lungs they wont spray.. then all you have to do is cut the glands out and there scent free,

Add Hydrogen peroxide to the paste that TNtrapper suggested instead of water and it will break down the protein in the Skunk spray and kill the smell. Then you can wash the pelt with the same mix,,,
and it really works.
I had a dog that hated skunks and didn't care if he got sprayed or not. It was the only thing that got the smell out of his pelt.

Good shootin' BTW.

I skin most furbearers, but skunks aren't one I'll skin so I consider them "varmints".

I drown two of them in havahart traps this morning, and one the day before yesterday to keep them out of the chicken pens.

Then I bury them in a shallow grave so that the neighbor's dog won't have to work too hard to dig them up and take 'em home.

laugh.gif

Daryl

Originally Posted By: vix Add Hydrogen peroxide to the paste that TNtrapper suggested instead of water and it will break down the protein in the Skunk spray and kill the smell. Then you can wash the pelt with the same mix,,,
and it really works.

Yep this works, and amazingly well. Take a quart of fresh hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and a little dish detergent. On a dog: work into the coat of the hosed area (avoid eyes). On a pelt: same deal (except for the eyes lol). Wear 2 pair of rubber gloves.

Nice shot with a bow.

ditto on the baking soda peroxide cure,it does seem to work extremely well on skunk stink.Good shooting by the way.

Last edited:
i dont know bout varmint but they r a pest here in ky we get one under our house every year. smells the whole house up use scent killer laundry soap after the paste. then wash with scent killer body soap. will help get the remnents of smell out if any left.

Originally Posted By: fxproI have heard that the best way to skin, is to skin it underwater Good Luck..

Careful that may be considered water boarding...

Back