I Missed!!!!!

btw1982

This is my first year coyote hunting. I live in northern IL, and hunt about a 600 acre piece of timber. I have found lots of coyote sign, so i went out and called with a haydel goverment cottontail distress.......with SUCCESS. but i missed when i shot. how long should i wait to go hunt the spot again. thanks for the advice!!!!

I think that I would be waiting at least a week, and when I went back I would set up differently. If you called one there are more in the area, move off a mile or so and try another area.

I would just give it a day or two to settle down, and give it another shot. The next time he comes in, if he comes in..make shur you really watch the down wind side as he probley won'nt be as bold as the first time. If you see him, and he's aways out there and comeing in, just let him come..Try a different sound to start with, and if that does'nt work go back to the sound that worked for you the first time Good luck! Send us a picture when ya nail him!!

what are other good distress calls to use, I have mainly read about the cottontail distress? any other good mouth calls out there?

flutter your tounge on that government hunter cotton tail it will do a killer bird in distress then you will not need a different call. set up in a new spot and keep a eye on your downwind.
Good luck

Any distress call will work, you just have to mix it up.

Some times I get hits with a distressed rabbit, puppy distress sounds and bird sounds.

Give your area a few days to weeks, it all depends on how much pressure these guys are getting. Just try not to educate the coyotes too much.

By the way get use to the missing them thing, I miss them all of the time. My hunting buddy tells every one that I have the shoot and release method down! LOL...

Last edited:
lol @ shoot and release method. Apparently I have that condition too. Take a buddy out maybe and have him call so you have more time to settle in on a shot. Or! just let it drop from your mouth on a short lanyard. If you think he is gonna see you, take a stick and tie a few chicken feathers hangin on some string to it so it will grab his attention and he can zero in on his kill. Like those guys said, mix it up with the call a little. They will come to a bird in distress just the same.

If you are using mouth calls, just add a new one to your lanyard, they all sound different. Look at the custom calls offered here. They are usually priced better than a plastic fantastic from the sporting goods store. Get a few to try and confuse the Coyotes. Practice making different sounds on them. There is really no wrong sound that I have seen.."Unless ya do Wolf or Mountain Lion vocals" lol Keep it up! Good Luck.

Back