Still lookin to thin the Wolf population....

jjess

It would be tough to be an elk around here!! I think there are a ton of wolves but I can't get them to come to a call... At least not yet! Their luck will run out soon!!!

DSCF3796.jpg

DSCF3797.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Can you get a hold of a recording of a cougar hound? Makes me sick that wolves are killing them. It would be poetic justice to kill a wolf that came to that call.

If wolves killed something and filled up on meat they usually dont go to far to rest, so go in there by there kill and use a coyote call and the wolves will come back to get the coyote off there kill. Dont know your laws of "baiting" but theres an idea for you. Also make sure your scent free, meaning you and if you locate a kill from wolves dont walk up to it or cross there tracks, leaving scent for them to catch and watch the wind/breeze. Are they ever gonna let you boys trap?

The rules are pretty tight this year. No electronic calls, baiting or hunting over bait and no trapping or using dogs. I think they'll have to allow trapping to take anywhere near the quota.
I tried a sequence of coyote howls then some prey distress and coyote barks and howls every five minutes or so. It would sure be nice to use an electric call.

jjess

At least you get to go out and hunt them. I went out this morning looking for a Mountain Lion and Bobcat. All I found was wolf tracks. We probably will never be able to hunt them here in Wyoming.

Good Luck and keep after them.

Scratch

Once all the countries wolves are located safely here in WY, pushed here by hunting we'll probably be able to hunt them. I saw one clear down in Cheyenne more than 2 years ago. It's just going to get worse.

I just checked the Idaho fish and game web site. 114 wolves have been taken so far. The quota is 220 and they have extended the season to March 31 2010. But if you hunt after Jan 1 in an open area you have to buy a new license. It will be interesting to see if they make their quota. Also if the number of wolves sees any decrease or if reproduction more than makes up for the wolves that are taken.

Back