Sleep in the Truck! 2 days hard hunting

Elks, I also have a mega cab and agree with you 100% That is the whole reason I bought the truck besides the cummins motor the back extra room and the back seat folding down is huge!! If you look around you can also find some air matresses that will fit in the back as well. Talk about comfortable!!

Congrats on the hunt! Nice coyotes!!

A couple of years ago when I was in the market to replace a 10 year old Dodge Quad Cab, I found a Mega Cab online and showed the pictures to SWMBO'd. She said there was no way in [beeep] I needed anything like that. We were looking for a used, low mileage pickup. A couple of weeks later she noticed a Quad cab sitting on a carlot that she drives by every day. She pulls in and looks it over, then the saleman told her they had another Dodge on the lot and it ended up being a Mega Cab. Guess which one she drove home that day??

You are very dedicated to sleep in a vehicle when it is that cold, course you probably had a very decent sleeping bag to help keep the cold off, until you woke the next morning.

Man I don't miss that kind of weather.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Quote:
gues there are just times when coyotes are moving and othertimes they will not come. Both days we never saw a yote until later afternoon. This was wierd as we just got a great storm and the new moon was in effect.

You're right about that. Coyotes and cats have been moving and responding to the call good, right up to last Tuesday. Since then, it's been like pulling teeth to get responses. Heard from a few guys in other states that have had a slow week as well. Hoping it breaks loose soon...real soon!

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Tony

I drive a semi for a living, I've slept out site in temsp like that, with out idling the truck all night, here's my secret.

An electric matteres pad. You can get them for about $20, maybe $30. And they are about the best things on the face of the earth. Given a even a average top layer of blankets I'm sure you can sleep in any weather you want to.

Last year, I used mine camping, with a deep cycle battery. I had it on all night, every night, at just around freezing, and stayed warm. I then used the battery to run my sirius all day and it stayed charged for 6 days of the week.

Now I use mine, in any weather untill Im afraid the truck won't start. Its nice being the only semi in the parking lot not wastign $40 in fuel to stay warm.

Anyways. Get the heated pad, you'll be a lot more comfortable. And congrats on the hunt looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the Tip Craig. I thought about that at somepoint, but was pretty comfortable in there down to the 0 degrees F mark. Not sure I couldpull off a -20 night, but I might have to try. I am looking at finding matress pad to double up and sleep on. My sleeping bag was a coleman 0 degree bag. We have 2 zipped together that function as an adam and eve bag for the wife and I. I took the extra 1/2 and went over the top of me. The only weak link was the zipper. I was constantly feeling some cold htere, next time a little extra blanket to go there. I am thinking that some day a dual battery set up would allow me accessorize my truck and still leave me a good battery to start with in the mornings.

Hope I have better luck tomorrow. I am getting out with my wife again, she is 7 months into calving and is due to calf in January. Hymmm just got a glare for that comment...

Last edited:
Gotta love the Mega Cab. I don't know what I am going to do when you can't buy one again. Best cab made. Some of my buddies have told me they think there is enough room in the cab for a brass pole...

I have on 04 ford f250 superduty I have a topper on it and I sleep in the back year round. I have a 6" thick futon mattress that I have down then a double sleeping bag. I have my gear in tubs I can turn on a propane heater if it gets too cold and I can cook and everything without having to get out. Only prob is I have a bad back and trying to get dressed like that is tough

Nice job elks!I was hunting around Rock Springs this past weekend. Left before the storm hit. Sounds like you had a good hunt! We managed to call and kill 1 dog on Sat. and we called in 4 on Sun. Only killed 1 though. We where some non shootin SOB's!

Good job!

Originally Posted By: Chapped Lipselks...gas or diesel rig?
and what "survival" vittles did ya stowaway for snack'n or emergencys?
reminds me.....my battery is 4yrs old......

I had several days food easy with me. Sandwich meat, sandwiches, red vines, cream soda, chips. 3 gallons water, Not to mention about 200 rounds and lots of tasty critters running around in case of eergency.

My truck has the hemi. It is not as cool as a cummins, but for several thousand less it was worth it. I either flat tow a jeep cj or have a small 19ft camper. Could not justify the diesel.

Nice job Ive done that a time or two but with no success. Your right as long as there was food running around you wouldnt starve. NIce pic.

you know the coyotes are close to the calving grounds that time of year. ha ha
just teasing Mrs. elks.
I've never stayed in the truck in that cold but i have in a tent. i put a lighter sleeping bag inside my Colman opposite so it covers the zipper

Man, that is livin' the life!

So many times over the last few years I have dreamed of having a rig that I could take north with me to do some hunting, and sleep in it. Around here, 4wd is a necessity, so a van would be out. Your truck is nice!

this should get good!! i've seen a few good 4x4 hunting vans with beds and hatchs and hunting racks.. i liked my truck and camper rig better but killed a few with the van!! but elks truck is a great hunting rig for the daytime!!

Back