7mm 120 ballistic tip

204Gunner

Anybody had a bad experience with this bullet in 7mm08 on deer? I'm leaning towards using this as I'm thinking it would be useful on coyote, deer, and antelope. If I'm crazy in my thinking, please say so. I have bigger guns with bigger tougher bullets for elk and such, so I don't plan to use my 7mm08 for anything bigger than deer sized critters.

Last edited:
Get a hold of Steve Timm, I think he still posts here. He has a tremendous amount of experience with the 7mm-08 and 120gr BT. I even think he has had success on elk and Moose with that combo.

The 7mm 120gr nosler ballistic tip is a heavy jacket bullet. very effective on deer and elk. I have shot it at 7mm rem mag velocitys to kill my largest muledeer and my first bull elk, with dramatic results. I had best accuracy in a 1-11" barrel at 3300plus fps. Unable to get them to group in my current 1-9.25" barrel

Try them first for accuracy! I shot a 7mm08 for years using Sierra 130's and 162 Amax's and they shot extremely well for me in competition. When I got invited to my first coyote hunt, I thought the same thing........use the 120's on yotes. I couldn't get those bullets to group for me. YMMV

Kevin

I've had a 7mm-08 for 15 years and it's perfect for deer. Just this week I killed 2 bucks with it using 120gr Sierra Pro Hunters. Both deer were shot in the left chest facing me and neither one took a step. I prefer 2 holes instead of one but if the deer are DRT I can't complain.
I do get complete penetration using Sierra 140gr GameKings and have had pass throughs end to end before.

I use the 120's and 140's in my 7mm-08 for years and they have never failed me. A friend of mine shot the 100 grain Sierra HP last year in Wyoming on coyotes and the results were quite acceptable. No problem with the 120's in the 7mm-08. Great bullets and a great caliber.

Brother and I have killed a few deer with the 120g Nosler
Rem brass, CCi 250 primer, 71-72g of R#22, Bullet seated to touch the lands...bug hole accuracy in a 7 Mags that we shoot...700's.

I have used BT's on deer in 7-08. Couldn't be more UNimpressed. Will never use them again. If you like mediocre penetration and a big mess, go for it........

hi,,,if you guys want a fantastic bullet for your 7mm-08,,,try the 140 grain nosler accubond,,,IMHO,,,the best bullet for the 08 or the mag,,,thanks

My kids and I have been using 140 grain Nosler Partitions in our 7x57's with excellent Deer killing results. For my new FN Model 70 in 7-08, I went straight to the same bullet, and get good accuracy in addition to its excellent killing ability. 45.0 grains of H-414 with Fed 210 primers.

Have heard alot of good things about the 120BT in 7mm-08 on deer. They are a shooter in mine with 44gr of RL15. I had planned on trying them for deer. I am shooting the Barnes 120TSX in mine, they are even more accurate than the BT's in mine and have performed very well on deer.

As a back up, you may consider the 130g Speer BT. We shoot this bullet in our 7/08's and it is very accurate and deadly on deer out to 325, which is as far as we have killed them...bang flops.

We shoot 700's with IMR 4895 with a Rem 9 1/2 primer, load escapes my mind.

After talking to a couple buddies who have had mixed issues with the ballistic tips, I'm actually now leaning toward going with either the Barnes 120 TSX or 140 Accubond. I have heard nothing but good things about either of these bullets.

I've killed deer with bunches of different bullets with a couple of 7-08s. I like the ballistic tips the least as far as on game performance is concerned. They shoot well though.

The 140gr. Partition has worked great from near and far. I currently load 120 TSX's......

I was useing the 140accubonds in a 270wsm and it just rip the deer all to helll. Massive hole going in and comeing out. The accubunds are one bad bullet. On the other side i would of used the BT but they would not shoot well 130s any way. I use the BT in my 243 and have had very good results with them. Very accurate bullet 90% of the time.

I worked up a reduced load for my 10 yr olds old tang safety ruger in 7-08 33.4 grains of H4198 shoots under 3/4" He shot his first buck at 170 yds behind the shoulder first shot he went about 40 ft and turned straight on and he hit him again in the neck went down like a sack of s**t but the the jacket separated from the core and that was all we could find I think in most cases it would be fine for deer but I would go heavier on anything bigger

Barnes 120gr TTSX over 44.5 of Varget. ALWAYS sub-moa out of my Tikka.

Shot a deer Sunday with this load at a bit over 100 yards. The deer was quartering away and I got complete penetration passing through about 14 inches and exiting. Less than ideal shot placement and deer went about 20 yards.

No experience with 120 NBTs yet.

I loaded some up in my 7 SAUM and they shot great, did not have the chance to shoot a deer with them but shot 2 coyotes with it. A frontal shot put down a big male with a 7mm entrance, no exit, nice fur; a side shot drilled a beer can sized hole thru a small dog at about 70 yards, too big to sew. I went back to the 22-250 for the rest of the season. Of course this gun was shooting probably 500 fps faster than yours would.

Back