Question: Dog Size

Colorado Coyotes

I'm working my Catahoula on coyotes for the first time, he's 8 months old. He weighed 54# at 6 months and is going to be bigger than I thought. He's been on two called coyotes, one adult and one pup. The adult coyote stood his ground and my dog worked around him as expected until the shot.

Yesterday I was calling and had a coyote back door us. I didn't see him until my dog lit out after it. By the time I got up and ran where I could see the action they were out of sight. When I found the coyote, a pup, he was still going and didn't stop til he was at least 1/2 mile away. My dog was at the bottom of a little rise and apparently had quit the chase after 200 yards or so and was snooping around looking for something else.

I want my dog to work/keep the coyotes close and I don't think he will run an adult off like he did the pup. I didn't get the chance to call him back after the chase started but guess he scared the heck out of the pup, he came over a little rise and was at 20 yards when my dog saw him.

Question: Is my dog's size a problem? If he was smaller in size would a young coyote not be so intimidated? Am I going to have problems when a young coyotes responds to the call? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IMO- Size shoudn't be to much of a factor, some pups may hang up or take off when they see him but that could happen using a terrier, as the pups just don't have the territorial drive adult coyotes have.

I would get a tri tronics shock collar system that has a tone on it. Get the dog trained to come back to the tone(50 foot check cord in the yard is a good way to start this training, as you can make the dog come when you tone him). You may have to shock the dog lightly and then tone him back a few times with a coyote in his face, until he gets it down. The tone sure beats yelling or even a whistle from you, as you don't want to bust yourself.

Best of luck.

My best dog is 110# in hunting shape. I have killed 250+yotes over him.(He will be 3 Jan 26) The fact is some yotes will stand their ground, or "work the dog", and some just haul out of the country. No way to tell what type of yote comes in.Pups almost always run when they see a dog.
Also yotes around ranches tend to run from dogs, because stock dogs chase them alot.
I ran a small dog for years and had the same thing happen.
Getting more control of your dog will help, because when a yote "bails", you can stop the dog, and maybe still get a shot at the yote.
Just keep huntin, "more drive is easier to control", than "no drive" is to fix.

He will come back with either a Ki-Yi or a squeaker when he's around the place. Don't know what he'll do when he's got a coyote in front of him. I've called him off barn cats or rabbits that he's chasing. I'll have to see what happens when I get the chance.

Thanks

To realy get him to decoy, he needs to "break" from a yote,and come back.
When a yote is chased, they run,when the dog turns tail, the yote follows. That is the goal.
Your on the right track, and with a young dog, I think your doing very well.

Thanks Duane

He just seems to be a natural. I just taught to come when called and he figured out the rest on his own. He stays close when I'm calling and even sings with me when I howl.
Just have to put lots of coyotes in front of him and see where it goes from there.

I have two dogs. One is 1 1/2 and the other will be a year in January. The older of the two I got from Duane and he is trained to come back to the tone on the collar. The pup I have that I have been training myself will come back to a squeaker. After hunting with the both of them the tone on the collar is the best way to go. Today I had them out and they went after a coyote hard. I let them run quite a ways and toned Zipper, he hit the skids and came back. My pup kept after the yote I was squeaking and she didnt come back till she realized she was all alone. My pup will soon be coming back to the tone on the collar.

Last edited:
I like to hear about the young dogs that guys are using, the "good,and bad". Dustballs has a dog that I trained, he is solid. Not to be a d!ck, but its what I do.
The dog he got from me will help train his pup.
Running dogs is a blessing, even when they piss you off, remember that. Most dogs givin the chance will "get it". They need hunted alot, and some learn faster than others.
Any decoy dog at 6 months that is working,is an accomplishment. Just keep after it, in another 6 months you will be amazed how easy things are.

Duanne,
So do you want your dog sitting next to you while you are calling or do you want them milling around while on the stand? I tried taking my GSP this morning and he was doing what he does naturally, working the field back and forth circling and checking back with me. I call him with a simple monotone wistle, not loud just really low. I give him this wistle every morning when I am getting him his food. He would get to a crest of a hill and just look around, I was hoping that he was watching something come in, but it was 3 dry stands this morning. I am thinking about going out in the morning, but I will be going to my buddies ranch.

Thanks,

gonzaga

I have some dogs that just sit 10 or 20 ft away, when I call,(until they see a yote) and others that mill about the whole time.Either way is fine with me, but they must come back when they are called. I can't have them on cattle, or a quill pig, or runnin a yote out of the country.I used to whistle, till I got collars with a "tone". The tone is the best thing ever, you can call your dog, and not "give up your location".
I work all my dogs in the yard, starting at 3 months, then I take them when I work cattle horseback,(4to 5 months), on short days, then to the feild. By the time they are decoying they have learned the comeback.
I do let my young dogs out on a trap line, or chasing crips, and blood trailing with my older dogs.Before 6months.
Some guys say this is "to young", maybe it is?????. I just know what works for me with my dogs.

What kind of tone collars do you use. I have a Tritronics collar that will control two collars at once. I have been thinking about getting rid of it and getting a different one. What would you advise?

I'd also like to know which collar. I see the reason for a tone caller when he is hot on a coyote. I trained my dog to come to a squeaker and a Ki-Yi, I use a Red Desert Howler and it will reach out a ways but the tone would work for long distance and in high winds.

The collar that I have now only has 4 buttons to reprimand them and it does not include a vibration or tone mode. I don't like shocking him when he isn't doing anything wrong.

Following Duanes advice I just bought a Tri Tronic Trashbreaker g3 EXP. It is an awsome collar. It has a two mile range. I know my dog when he gets on a coyote and things are happening fast it dont take him long to be outside the effective range of most collars.

I gave Dustballs all the "pointers " I could when he bought Zipper. He is saying just what I would tell you, no need for me to retype it all.
Its the only collars I use, and I run the full six on one control.Works great on my decoy dogs and my hounds, and my cow dogs.
Never a good idea to "shock " a dog that doesn't need it.
I use a "tone " more than anything.

I know the price is hard to swallow but it is worth it. The collar I had has a 300 yard range with a tone. I thought it would work. Even when Zipper was within 300 yards running full out he couldnt hear the tone. There is a big difference between my old collar and the new one.

gonzaga,
I have a Tri-Tronics collar with the tone mode on it. I think it is the G2 Field model.
It is my first e-collar, but I will never own a collar without the tone feature. After your dog learns the tone, you will use it 50 times for every time you use the "stimulation" mode.
wink.gif

This cracks me up... 16 posts and I told you all the same stuff in my original response. I guess I'm not as good a dogman as Duanne.

Back