New Laser Designator

Yes, my hunting partner, Blueridgeboy, has one. He just got the thing and we've been doing some R&D on it to figure out it's best uses. So far, all we have looked at is deer feeding in bean fields. The reaction of the deer to the green light is that it seems to make them more nervous than a red filtered light, but much less nervous than being lit up by white LED light. We can easily identify deer at 250 yards plus, but when we tried viewing the deer through a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x50 rifle scope to see if the crosshairs(duplex reticle) were visible enough when placed on the animal to possibly make a clean shot at that distance, we both agreed that it was too far to ethically attempt that shot. The reticle just did not have enough contrast on the illuminated animal to make a clean shot. In contrast, my Lightforce 170 with the red filter would easily allow that shot, as I have done that and farther with our crop damage permits. If an illuminated reticle was available in the rifle scope, I believe a 200 yard plus shot could be easily accomplished.

The ND3 seems like it could be a very useful tool for night hunting some species, whether it be used as a weapon light or a light for scanning animals, we just havn't done enough testing to determine what would be the most efficient use for this tool. A large determining factor would be the different animal's reaction to the green light. If canines really see green as a shade of white, it might not be the greatest tool for illumination for coyote and fox hunting. I'm hoping hogs don't see green any better than they do red, and if that turns out to be the case, then I'll buy one too for scanning, and maybe even as a scope light for hog hunting.
As we get more experience with the ND3 on canines, I'll post our findings.
F1

Flyrod1,
I could not find a price on that ND3 on their site. I didn't want to call them. What is the cost of them if you know. Thanks

Thanks for the info Flyrod. If you decide it is better for spotting then maybe the ND5 would be a better option. I ordered a ND3 today and also a scope with an illuminated reticle. Guess I will find out soon if I wasted my money.

Gman,
I'm sure the ND3 will be useful, we're just not yet sure how it can best be used. Until we can get a consistent reaction from canines to the green light, we won't know whether to try to use it as rifle illumination for predator hunting. I'm thinking our use will be mostly for pigs, but that is yet to be seen.
The ND5 is a much larger unit weighing 1.2 pounds, as opposed to the 5.5 ounces of the ND3. The range of both is controlled by dialing the width of the beam. The wider the beam, the less the effective range. At the very least, the ND3 will be a useful tool to glass areas looking for pigs and ADC work on deer.
F1

Flyrod... I finally got them both in and it seems to be a good combination. I think the key is to get a scope will a low level lighted reticle, some I have seen are way too bright even on the lowest level. I have not had time to get out in the field yet and test for effective range at night yet but I'll let you know how it goes.
I opted for a 3x12x50 scope with a standard 1/4 MOA reticle and a 30mm tube. I used a Rock River one piece high rise mount on my RR Predator Pursuit. This scope is a little on the large size but well made. (no plastic)
I talked to a tech guy at BSA optics about feedback from hunters in reference to how animals react to the light. He had no info on coyotes but said some had reported on that there was no adverse reaction from hogs.

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Hawke-SideW...cle-HK4002.html

Last edited:
Gman,
I have no further conclusive results to report on the use of the ND3. Lack of time and animals so far.....

I'm thinking that the ND3 is going to find it's best niche while hog hunting. There is a little reluctance on my part to experiment too much on coyotes. We really don't get to kill that many, and I hesitate to waste a kill for the sake of experimentation. Foxes will have to be our guinea pigs, we have tons of them, so that's no great loss if we scare a few away.
Keep us posted with your experiences with the ND3.....inquiring minds want to know!!!!
F1

We use lasers to locate animals at night. Helps us find them alot quicker when they are out a long ways . Cuts down on our recovery time on competition hunts. Grizz

Just got an ND3 this morning. After running around the property with it tonight, it looks as if it will be very handy! Gonna try and see what the critters think of it this weekend. Using a scope, I think it's gonna work a bit past 250 if needed. The eye shining/scanning capability is MANY times better than any spotlight and you don't get all the residual light all over either. Should have it's place, but as mentioned earlier....just not sure quite yet.
The "kit" doesn't have a mount that will work on a 30mm scope. Had to drop off the hands free/aimable scopemount at a machinist friends place to get that taken care of. Called BSA and they do not have anything for 30mm scopes right now, but are logging the requests for them (as they have received several calls now asking the same thing).

This is an interesting discussion on canine vision

http://agilitynet.co.uk/health/caninevision_markplonsky.HTML

judging where the 532mm wavelength of the ND3 and ND5 falls on the color bar, it doesn't look like canines would perceive a whole lot of difference between this and a red light-only the difference between yellow vs. washed out yellow. The point is, they can see the red light too. I don't expect a whole lot of difference between Canis familiaris and Canis latrans.

Methinks I'm going to get both of these units. 7+ hours of continuous runtime on CR123 batteries sure would save on a lot of weight and bulk.

Last edited:
smsnyder said:
Hope the unit can replace the lightforce gun light. [/quote
====================================================================
I think your aspirations are a little high for the ND3! From our experiments thus far, there's no way I'm giving up the 170 LF for the ND3. If you focus the width of the beam to match the field of view in your scope, that seems to be the best combo for the ND3. I'm still not sold on canine's not being spooked by green light. If you hunt in less open areas, where distance isn't a problem, the ND3 might be OK.
F1

Looks like unit is made by BSA. Just looked at one during the day. Impressed but must look at one at night and also behind scope crosshairs. Need to find 30mm mounts for it.

I am a dealer for the BSA Laser Genetics, and used to carry the ND3 and the ND5. I personally had 3 defective units in a row that I removed a surefire light from the top of one of guns and replaced it with the ND3. I was highly upset at the fact it failed, not once, twice, but 3 times. You had to know being made by BSA, but I thought I would give it a try. I since then had a customer bring one back for failure, and had to send it off for repair. I have since pulled every one of them from the shelf, and will no longer carry them. To all of you thinking about one, RETHINK IT. Stick with what works and do not deviate, as your night out might become ruined from faulty equipment that is brand new and not proven.

it seems to me that this device has a lot of potential. i hope that those using it and having problems are letting Laser Genetics know about the problems and giving them a chance to make improvements. as i recall, almost all the new technology mentioned in these pages have had problems in the beginning that were resolved/improved by communication with the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: offroadxxI am a dealer for the BSA Laser Genetics, and used to carry the ND3 and the ND5. I personally had 3 defective units in a row that I removed a surefire light from the top of one of guns and replaced it with the ND3. I was highly upset at the fact it failed, not once, twice, but 3 times. You had to know being made by BSA, but I thought I would give it a try. I since then had a customer bring one back for failure, and had to send it off for repair. I have since pulled every one of them from the shelf, and will no longer carry them. To all of you thinking about one, RETHINK IT. Stick with what works and do not deviate, as your night out might become ruined from faulty equipment that is brand new and not proven.

Good info!

Thanks

Originally Posted By: fireguyty

Good info!

Thanks

I'm a little leary of criticism of a product from someone with one post.

Back