look what i called in!

loadedjoe

black2.jpg

black.jpg

2nd one of these i have called in, i had the first one mounted. these black ones are getting more and more common in my area! 2 weeks ago my uncle shot one and last year one of my friends shot one. ive got them on trail cams as well....

anyone know what turns them black? genetics? or are they mixed with dog somewhere up the family tree?

Well done! What are you going to do with the hide on that one???

I believe it's genetics that causes the melanistic trait. It's got the the characteric white patch that is on almost every black coyote.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Tony

Congrats! Those look so cool!

I've never seen a dark colored one around here.

Suggestion, put your location in your profile so it shows up under your user name. Be interesting to know where you are killing these black coyotes.

buster,
well i was actually in my deer stand. lol. i always take my foxpro scorpion to the stand with me for when i get bored. and i never pass up a coyote while deer hunting! i was using my savage 270wsm with a 140gr accubond. scope is a vxII 6-18x40. when this unique guy popped out into the field im sitting there thinking....oh crap, how am i going to shoot him with minimum pelt damage! when he got to about 125 yards he stood there facing me....thats when i shot him in the chest. worked like a charm, no bullet exit!

I have yet to see a black yote in Arizona and never saw one the years I hunted in Colorado. It does seem like you all back more East have these black critters running around and that is totally cool. I would LOVE to have one of these come into a stand! Good job.

Paul

Great looking dog,it will make a beautiful mount.
I hope to get one of those myself one day.
I have only seen two in 15 years here and both while just out driving the gravel roads.
Someday i will call one in.

awesome looking coyote. congrats

unless DNA is done it's real hard to say how much of what they may or may not have in them. I believe they are simply a melanistic coyote.

I have never seen a black coyote....ever, so, first off let me start by saying that I'm not trying to start a fight.
This looks like it could be someones dog. How can you tell for sure it's a coyote and not a dog?? How do you guys tell??

Back