Need some help choosing a rifle in 7mm Rem Mag

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunMy thoughts:

I would take a 7WSM over a 300WSM

Tikkas suck

Rem SPS is way too heavy for carrying around elk country

No problems with Rem triggers, new or old. If you don't like the new, an old can be purchased/installed at a low cost

Nothing against Savages, just not my favorite

AI sounds out of the budget right now

I agree with this gentlemen also......of course that has happened several times before.

I have a Tikka T-3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag and a Ruger M77 All Weather 7mm Rem Mag with a break on it and they are both great shooters. I will always have a 7mm Rem Mag or 2 in the closet. They are my got to gun for big game. I bought one in 92 after I got out of the Army for deer and elk and have never looked back. Get one and shoot enough to be comfortable with it and it will make you happy...

I have only had one rifle that I could not handle the recoil on and that was a Remington model 700 in .270 That gun had such a sharp kick to it that both me and my son became recoil shy. I bought the gun for my son thinking the 7mm was a little much for him and found out that the 7mm I was shooting at the time was good enough for him. (Gave me and excuse to go out and buy my my Tikka T-3 Lite 7mm.)

An Ackely conversion would only cost $100-200 bucks in gunsmithing. I am not sure the 280 AI is the ultimate in cartridges but still a good one (of course based on the 30-06 case so no real magic).

Since you are on a budget, the 7mm Mag is as common as mud. I think you could find a used one with a scope for about $500. It has the advantage (like the 270 or 30-06) of having ammo available just about everywhere. It certainly has some reach.

Since you are a young man, I see you would look at the magnums as superior but as someone a little longer in the tooth, don't think the 30-06 or 270 or 308 or a variety of others will not do what you want. The 30 cal is able to launch a bullet from 110-220 grains which covers the gamut of game you mention. The 7mm runs 120-160 grains. I personally would rather thump a moose with a 220 grain 30-06, not that a 7mm won't kill them. I like the short mags and have a couple but if you do not reload, ammo cost is thru the roof.

Originally Posted By: dogtired...The 30 cal is able to launch a bullet from 110-220 grains which covers the gamut of game you mention. The 7mm runs 120-160 grains. I personally would rather thump a moose with a 220 grain 30-06, not that a 7mm won't kill them...

Pville,
Commonly availabe bullets in 7mm actually run from 100 grains to 175 grains. This will cover the full range of game mentioned as well. In addition, the 7mag and a 175gr put more energy on target than a 30-06/220 grain combo with much better ballistics and near identical SD.

Since you mentioned in one of your posts you own a 30-06, I assume you are looking for something different that will offer you better/comparable killing ability with the advantage of flatter trajectory. The 7 rem mag fits this bill well.

B

I think your leaning towards the 7mm Rem Mag is a FINE choice.

The .338 class of cartridges are very fine as well.

And this brings us to rifle choices.

Many of us get a "new cartridge" itch every now and then.

Allow me to introduce you to a new idea (if you have not heard of this:

Barrel switching.

And the traditional rifle ....... has until a couple of years ago was the SAVAGE bolt actions (some Stevens models too)

But lets also mention the Remington 700 ..... it's in play as well.

Go to this web site:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

Not only is everything "Savage" found there ....... but with one of the Vendors and McGowen barrels ...... the term and concept of Rem-age barrels was born.

What is Rem-age? ....... it's custom barrels made for Remington 700's but with a custom nut that are installed with a barrel nut wrench made for Savages.

So in one broad brush swipe one can either have a Savage barrel switcher or a Remington 700 .......

With the Savage one can change bolt heads and not only change chamberings but go from one class of cartridges to another.

With a Remington 700, one is going to have to change bolts to switch cartridge families ..... but that can be done as well. If you own a magnum face bolt ..... you can switch barrels without a different bolt so long as the case head of the cartridge you change to is the same.

Headspacing under this system is best accomplished by using a Go-gauge ...... many use a FL sized casing ... but it is undeniably springy ..... to each their own.

I could go on and on ..... but I would strongly encourage you to register over at Savage shooters and learn more about these systems .... and even pay the $12 for one year's worth of paid membership ...... and get into the classifieds so you can see the "whole world" open up ....

And as to chosing rifles ......... on a budget ..... I would suggest a new or used Savage or Stevens OR ..... a good used Remington 700 .......

The Remys are the gold standard, the triggers are EXCELLENT .... if you go with one and care to help the trigger .... send me a personal message here or over at Savage shooters and I'll gladly send my instruction set I found on the internet ..... which led me to tune my own ......... my 700 is positively stunning now .......

And don't get me wrong .... the Savages can be set up pretty good too ...... there are some more twists and turns but more flexibility .......

Whatever you decide ..... Enjoy!

Three 44s

Originally Posted By: 2GunnerOriginally Posted By: dogtired...The 30 cal is able to launch a bullet from 110-220 grains which covers the gamut of game you mention. The 7mm runs 120-160 grains. I personally would rather thump a moose with a 220 grain 30-06, not that a 7mm won't kill them...

Pville,
Commonly availabe bullets in 7mm actually run from 100 grains to 175 grains. This will cover the full range of game mentioned as well. In addition, the 7mag and a 175gr put more energy on target than a 30-06/220 grain combo with much better ballistics and near identical SD.

Since you mentioned in one of your posts you own a 30-06, I assume you are looking for something different that will offer you better/comparable killing ability with the advantage of flatter trajectory. The 7 rem mag fits this bill well.

B

I may have forgotten a few bullet weights, so forgive me, but if you are going to compare the 7mag to the 30 cal it should be the 300 win mag, apples to apples. I never knocked the 7mag just would lean to a larger bullet for bigger game and since he is on a budget, just reminding him he may have it covered.

Since you already have a .30-06 you don't need an "all around" rifle. You have an excellent rifle in that .30-06 for all but the biggest of game on the North American Continent. And, I am not now, and never will be an expert in Brown bear, etc. I have no intention of hunting anything that would consider me lunch...end of that story! Do some comparisons, carefully, at most practical ranges, you will find a 300-400 yard bullet and factory ammo for Elk for your .30-06. Unless, 300-400 yard shots at Elk are going to be your only need, your .30-06 will do everything you need without sacrificing much. Better ammo, and it is now quite available, will make more of a practical difference at "long range" for Elk, than a caliber change between your .30-06 or the 7mm or one of the .30 magnums. So, if you need to absolutely "bulk up" at the top end, trade your .30-06 and some extra cash (instead of a new rifle) for one of the .30 Mags and great glass. Hiowever, as I suspect, you might really need to complement that .30-06, and that is best done in a different range of cartridges.

Now, below that caliber you have several avenues... I would be more tuned in to where and what you will be hunting, with the emphasis on the where...

Texas Bean Fields? Or, Eastern woods? 300+yard shots or 50-150 yards?

Something in the .25-06, .260 Reminton, .270, OR 7mm-08,(depending on some factors) might be a great complement to your .30-06 and less likely to be an overlap and duplicate of that rifle.

I have a certain, experience based, prejudice that I will expound (and expand). For over 40 years I have had a "go-to" deer rifle. From less than 30 feet to 325 yards, I have effectively killed white tailed deer with one rifle. That rifle is a .257 Roberts. For me it is the proverbial "death ray" on deer. So, starting from that premise, I can assure you that either a .25 or .26 properly selected bullet will kill deer effectively out to 325 yards. You appear to have a preference for high speed so I would say a .25-06 would be a solid choice for consideration. They will definitely "reach out and touch" and deliver a good bullet. So, if it is long range on deer, there is a suggestion that will complement your .30-06. (and it can be used for varmints as well).

With somewhat less recoil, and available in some great carry rifles, there are the others mentioned above (.260, 7mm-08, and .270) Each of those will have a very slightly different strong point (although the .270 begins to be a duplicate of a lot of what the .30-06 does well).

Brands? Remington, Savage (Stevens), Tikka, the new Marlin (I have no experience but have read good things) all would work for you, based on what you like or dislike in each of their strong and weak points and the current available choices of cartridges. Remington 700 is my general first choice. However, my most used Varmint rifle is a Sako and my .338 Winchester is a Mauser (controlled feed and claw extractor cause it's what I hope I am carrying when that Brownie decides I look tastey!)

Last edited:
Back