Flambeau lone howler decoy setup?

losthelegend

I recently purchased a Flambeau lone howler coyote decoy and was curious how other people setup with it. Do I need to use another decoy like a mojo critter or is the coyote decoy plenty? Do you setup with the decoy laying down, sitting or standing? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and input!

I have had success with placing the decoy 25-30 yards away from the call/callers. Although I have not used the sitting pose on very many occassions, I always tuck the tail behind the leg to promote a submissive pose rather than an aggressive one (Tail straight out - more aggressive/alert).

We use the Mojo Critter in tandem with the Lone Howler to add realism.
I have a phobia with putting the decoy in between me and a road, house, etc. The decoy looks very realistic at 40-50 yards, so I can only imagine what it looks like at 300 through a scope.

We utilize the decoy more in the months of January and February during breeding season than any other time. It really helps when an approaching coyote sees the "other" coyote he/she is looking for.

Best of Luck,

Richie
TBR Outdoors

Thanks for the reply! I didnt think about other hunters shooting at the decoy! I will make sure to keep it 50 yrds away or so! Should be far enough unless they are horrible shots.

These pictures were taken by myself and Rich Higgins. We have found that the Lone Howler in conjunction with a moving decoy brings coyotes in fairly close.

LoneHowler_2.jpg

LoneHowler_4.jpg

LoneHowler_6.jpg

Image1.jpg

deke4.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

Those are some great pics Scott. I saw some you posted last year too and I think you are as good a photographer as you are a yote killin machine!

I have never used the coyote decoy myself and it does seem that many who do use it find it successful. Glad you are able to have it work to your advantage!

In one of Scott's pictures you will see that the coyote is howling at the decoy....I too have had this happen and was fortunate enough to capture it on video. I posted this YouTube clip a couple of weeks ago that shows two coyotes "Yipping/barking at the decoy"....In my opinion the coyotes in this video start this yipping sequence due to being intimidated by the Lone Howler decoy.

here is the link to the YouTube Clip....

Happy Hunting,

Richie

Richie,
The video you posted has some very interesting coyote behavior in it. I saw it when you initially posted it a few weeks ago. There was such a varied display of behavior covering a number of possible origins I contacted Rich Higgins, labeled by some as the 'coyote professor' to help me understand the meaning behind their vocalizations and actions. Rich Higgins has given seminars from one coast to the other and has been used in consultation by a number of research studies pertaining to coyote vocalizations and coyote behavior. On another board he gave his opinion of what he witnessed in your video. He did not concur with the intimidation theory. I will quote his eval on what he saw -

Quote:A mature breeding pair approached the prey distress. When they entered the field the motion of the decoy drew their attention to the coyote shape of the LoneHowler. They both erupted into yip-howls and one of the primary functions of this vocalization is passive territorial defense because it announces the presence of a resident pack and reduces the number of intruders. The yip-howls also alerted any group members within hearing of the incident and they were possibly on the way. If the camera crew had remained silent they may have had the whole pack in front of them.
The clip was videoed in February. The majority of coyotes breed in February, some as much as a month earlier, some as much as a month later.
Both coyotes display dominance in this clip with elevated tails, piloerection, and mounting (standing over). The female's rejection of the male's attempt to mount looks like a breeding display and her halfhearted attempt to mount him looked like a dominance display.
Very cool video.

You guys catch some real interesting behavior and, in my opinion, it held more worth for their research appeal rather than the hunting factor (although I too enjoy a good hunting video as much as the next guy!). Camera work with the decoy was superb and not many hunters are able to get coyotes to interact with the decoy as you guys did. As I said the Lone Howler used in conjunction with a moving decoy simulating a meal recently acquired really stirs them up.

Excellent video.

Some very interesting points made there Scott...I really appreciate you sharing the information you received from Rich and I think he could very well be 100% correct....if someone would have the knowledge to know, he is an Excellent Choice!

It is funny, because when it all first happened, I was so caught up in the coyotes actions that I don't think I realized what I was witnessing (my main concern became making sure my "rookie" cameraman had this all on tape rather than putting fur on the ground). Thank Goodness I got it captured on Video because I'd be damned if someone would have believed me when I told them the story.
smile.gif

Again, thanks for your remarks and for sharing Rich's comments!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Richie

People don't realize how tough camera work is. Pointing a rifle and shooting is easy compared to working the mechanisms of a camera correctly enough to produce a perfect picture of video. My hat goes off to anyone who posts a quality video or photo.

Great pics and Video! I have never seen footage such as you have there and was awesome seeing it!!! Keep up the good work and the Video was worth much more than killing the coyotes [IMHO} Thanks for sharing!!!

Back