To paint or not to paint (Did it w/pics)

roadkill46

i paint all my hunting rifles, and a few handguns, but i cannot bring myself to paint the new Bushy Predator with the S&B! I had it out in the garage tonite and was about to shoot it with the rattle can and had a panic attack! how valuable, honestly, do you think cammo is on a black gun? aesthetically pleasing to the eye or deadly for the prey? if i do it will be a minor job with a sponge and just some desert tan in splotches. IDK

OK, Painted, i think it turned out good. still gotta put my paw prints on the mag well:
bushycammo1.jpg

bushycammo2.jpg

bushycammo3.jpg

bushycammo4.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to keep it, then who cares? If you are a churner, it may devalue it a tiny bit. I think a large black thing swinging in the grass is pretty visible myself. Otherwise get some camo wrap. I am sure you will succumb eventually.

Has anyone made a gillie for their rifle? I have half of a gillie suit made, maybe you could do that, and it would be just as effective?

When I'm looking to buy a used firearm, I'll spend a lot of time looking over the general care and maintenance that the previous owner has invested in it....

If it has been painted, unless it is just too outlandish, that doesn't bother me, if the rest of the weapon is in excellent shape for the price asked...as I may paint it myself...The only exceptions would be something with really beautiful wood and blue steel...

Utility weapons are just that...they will accumulate dings and nicks over time, even if just sitting it the safe...and, IMHO, an AR is just a 'utility' tool...

I have painted and used vet wrap and camo strips from old camo T's. In the winter I will use white tape and some white cloth, works well. The rags and tape give a more 3 dimensional aspect and you can adjust over the season or location.

I had a RR Pred. that I camoed. The guy that bought it love the paint job. He said that is part of the reason he wanted it cause it was different. I didn't loose a dime on the sale.

Just wrap it in Camoform, then you don't have to worry about it and you can change it to match terrain/conditions.

I have been wresting with the same dilemma myself and Im thinking more along the lines of just making some sort of ghille wrap for my 10FP, and use some old white sheets for snow camo.

let me count, 5 rifles cammo'd and a G30SF painted in coyote brown. maybe i'll wait until the newness wears off a little then shoot it with the can.

I took the sleeve from an old camo bdu and pulled it over the barrel of my stainless #1 it worked great hid the glare so I cut and sewed it to fit.

It took me awhile to camo paint my AR,but I finally did it, everyone that sees it thinks it looks way cool. Who wants a rifle that looks like everyone elses. Its one of a kind and I was told by a good friend,"Never sell a gun!" To this day I have only sold one gun,that was a 243 I was saving for my daughter the didn't hunt so I sold it to a friend for his son.Just do it!

Originally Posted By: bob maierIt took me awhile to camo paint my AR,but I finally did it, everyone that sees it thinks it looks way cool. Who wants a rifle that looks like everyone elses. Its one of a kind and I was told by a good friend,"Never sell a gun!" To this day I have only sold one gun,that was a 243 I was saving for my daughter the didn't hunt so I sold it to a friend for his son.Just do it!

+1 On that! Never sell a gun. I have sold four of them so far and I regret every single one of them. My biggest regret was a Browning BLR .243, one my Dad bought for me when I was a kid. One time I also sold my beloved .22-250, and my wife bought it back from the store where I traded it in and then gave it back to me for Christmas. I almost cried. I haven't sold a gun since (not counting upper recievers). But to the point, go ahead and camo that sucker. I just got three bottles of duracoat in the mail today, and am about to attempt a wicked camo pattern. You can always go back over it flat black if all else fails.

Krylon ultra flat melts right off with brake cleaner. I've done my ar, shotgun, cz and 700 with nightforce scope. U.S. Optics recommends cleaning scope lenses with acetone, so you don't even have to worry about that.

my plan whenever i get some free time on an up coming weekend is to paint just a stock and free float. i have 2 sets, so i can keep the one set black and im going to paint the other snow cammo. it will still break up the image of the gun way better than nothing. little more costly to have an extra stock and free float layin around, but hey...its just money.

Originally Posted By: mesadogKrylon ultra flat melts right off with brake cleaner. I've done my ar, shotgun, cz and 700 with nightforce scope. U.S. Optics recommends cleaning scope lenses with acetone, so you don't even have to worry about that.

That what I use it comes right off!!!!

Gabe

i know, i know, like i said most of my guns are painted and i've been hired to paint other's guns. it is in my mind that i am having a hesitation. i sell guns that i dont' shoot, my opinion is that if i don't shoot them, why have them. i'm trying to cull the herd now but with the economy no one is buying right now. too bad. i'll paint it i'm sure.

Black rifles are suppose to be BLACK! lol

I do have to say that some of your guys paintings look really great, but I don't think I could bring myself to paint a $1200 rifle. I guess I'm just chicken.

Back