.17 mach 2 thoughts?

kal52

been kickin around the idea of getting another savage in the little .17m2, main use would be plinking/squirrels/coon (must be .22lr or smaller at night).

what are your thoughts, i dont have one, and the savage/stevens are pretty cheap.

I had a .17hmr and it just blew everything I shot to bits, so if its going to do that squirrel may be out, but plinking and coon may still work.

Thanks

Dave

I picked up a 17M2 pistol barrel for my Contender. Got some problem squirrels in the yard, eating my apples/pears. Gonna try it out soon. I've used my 17HMR with 17 gr vmax on squirrels, and I assume the 17M2 will react the same. Hit em in the body and forget eating it. Gotta go for head shots only. The good thing is, like the HMR, the round is extremely accurate in most guns and it's certainly up to the task of head shots. Have patience, and only take head shots and I think you'll like it.

the mach2 is a great caliber for close shots at foxes, coons and squirrels. Althought, I have had shots go clean thru squirrels without expanding on impact, only to have them bled to death in their holes. It happened to me twice last year, both shots were under 15 yds.

A .17 HM2 won't destroy meat. A head shot is always nice regaurdless of the gun you have, but it's not needed with a Mach 2.

My squirrel rifle happens to be a New England Firearms single shot, .17 mach 2, with a heavy bull barrel.

A tack driver if I ever did see one.

Last edited:
Been looking for a Savage BV in HM2 or 22LR for training. I have a Ruer 10/22 in hm2, but haven't been able to shoot it. It's about 80% of the HMR for about 40-50% of the price. If you are worried about ammo, you can buy on gunbroker for the best current price. I am actually considering a HB Savage that was for sale with a whole bunch of ammo.

If you sight in at 100 yards, you will be less than 1" high at fifty yards. pretty much point click bang flop.

Kal52
buy it..! The ultimate squak gun it does no more damage than a 22 hollow pt.The best thing is "if u can see'um u can kill'um".
My MKII is scary accurate.

reaganreagan,
Maybe used or if u can find a savage pre-accutrigger good luck.

Marlin's 917M2 or 917M2S are one of the best-kept secrets, great little shooters, just loosen up the trigger and off you go. I've used it to take everything from squirrels to foxes. You can get a used one for about $100-150.

Originally Posted By: reaganreaganWhat are the chances of me getting a Mach 2 for around $175?

r2

A few years ago one of the guys on our prairie dog hunt shot a couple with his .17 Mach 2. One hole in, no hole out. One dog sat in the sun for a few hours and he swelled up like a football. Being the sickos that we are I mounted a video camera on a tripod about 6 feet from the carcass we shot it again with a 22-250. Quite a bit more impressive to say the least.

Anyway, that tiny .17 was just fine on pasture pooches out to I would say maybe 100 yards or so. Was more deadly than a .22 LR at that range for sure.

There are people on rimfirecentral who have taken crows out to 125 yards, and there was even a chance headshot on a coyote at less than 10 yards

Originally Posted By: 17tacticalMarlin's 917M2 or 917M2S are one of the best-kept secrets, great little shooters, just loosen up the trigger and off you go. I've used it to take everything from squirrels to foxes. You can get a used one for about $100-150.

Originally Posted By: reaganreaganWhat are the chances of me getting a Mach 2 for around $175?

r2

Thanks for the post I will start looking.

r2

Back