Scope Rings- Lock Tight or not??

Rost-SD

This last weekend, a guy that I deer hunt with lost the front base screw to his scope mounts (weaver). He could move his scope up and down 1/4 of an inch. And since we were in the middle of nowhere, he had no choice but to hunt with it.

Does anyone know the real answer to this? The guy who mounted my scope at scheels told me it is not necessary, but I wonder sometimes. And ironically, this same guy was the person who mounted my buddies scope 3 years ago.

So, why would a touch of blue lock tight hurt?

I always do. I'd hate to be out hunting and have something so easily preventable screw everything up.

I use the purple loc-tite, it's just a step down from blue. Blue is fine though...at least LaRue must think so because that's what they send with their mounts.

I always use a touch of loctite on all scope mount screws,always. I bought a bottle several years ago it's still good. Better safe than sorry.

Well, I just had the Picatinny base screws on my 10/22 come loose after a few hundred rounds of massive recoil from the .22 LR, so I'm going to say it's a good idea to Locktite them.
grin.gif

I've never had a ring come loose in 30 years, but I guess it's possible.

Never have and most likely never will use any kind of lock tite when mounting optics on a firearm. I've never had anything come loose. I reckon it wouldn't hurt to use it, just never saw a reason to.

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802Base screws, Yes.
Ring screws, No. Light weight oil, and proper torque get's them right.

Always on the base, never on the rings.

ok i have the LaRue QD-104 1 piece mount for an AR. they sent the small vile of "blue" lock-tight i assume for the scope rings because this mount doesnt use base screws.

So use it on the scope rings or not??? I think LaRue says YES on the scope ring screws.....

I have never used it on my other 3 bolt rifles i own and so far never had a problem...

ok i have the LaRue QD-104 1 piece mount for an AR. they sent the small vile of "blue" lock-tight i assume for the scope rings because this mount doesnt use base screws.

So use it on the scope rings or not??? I think LaRue says YES on the scope ring screws.....

I have never used it on my other 3 bolt rifles i own and so far never had a problem...

Originally Posted By: bkauzok i have the LaRue QD-104 1 piece mount for an AR. they sent the small vile of "blue" lock-tight i assume for the scope rings because this mount doesnt use base screws.

I did. It's not going to hurt anything to use it on any screws.

I will follow the LaRue recommended mounting instructions thanks...
It's going on a New RRA predator pursuit. I want this AR to be flawless when i buy the scope.

I know there is a torque value for scope bases and rings, but I've never used a torque wrench to tighten down any of the screws. What I try and do is whenever I clean my rifles after shooting them (which is pretty much weekly), I check the screws for tightness just to make sure they haven't come loose. Its become a habit with me and will save ya alot of headaches like your friend encountered.

i never used it before on any gun but after i shot my Ar for the first time (100 or so rounds) the rings had come loose...i immediately took it apart and loctite'd everything ....including my slug guns..

never saw the need before but i will on every gun for now on...

There are plenty of reasons why you SHOULD.

Nobody here has presented a single reason why you should NOT.

Loctite, when properly applied, can prevent problems that might arise at the worst possible time, even several years down the road. Just do it right the first time and NEVER worry about it again, especially if you use it for competition or hunting etc.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... Or in this case, a half a drop on each screw.

You won't have a problem removing a screw, esp a torx screw, thats had the blue locktite on it.

At the very leasty it will act like a thread sealer and prevent water from rusting the screws to the point they need a drill to remove. I have had it happen with bolts and screws in my boat, not fun.

Best case its both a thread sealer, and... well locktite, and keeps evil problems from popping up. Heck the 3% of a tube you'll use is much less then the cost of a single round of ammo to sight in.

BTW whats the proper torque from the screws anyways?

About the locktite as a thread sealer. I have seen screws and bolts on stuff like sleds, and boats that see a lot of water, where the head was as rusty as can be. Yet when you removed it, the threads where still shinny and new after removing the locktite from them.

I firmly believe that in many cases the only reason I got some bolts out, is because someone put locktite in to keep them in place.

Back