CZ 527 .223 American

Rustydust

Hi Guys

I just got me another .223 rifle a week ago. One of those too good a deal to pass up kind of deals. Anyway, it is one of those dandy little CZ 527 Americans in .223 Rem caliber. It has the 1-12" twist. So, I was wondering what those of you that have this very gun have gotten in the way of accuracy with it and what your favorite loads are. I am only interested in this very model, not someting similar to it. It will never be my primary varminter as it just a bit too small for serious bench shooting, but will make a dandy walk about gun, just like my .221 Furball, only with a tiny bit more giddyup.

All inputs will be appreciated.

I have one of those. It's far and away my favorite ground hog rifle.

40g Nosler BT seated 0.020" off the lands, Win brass, 28.0g AA2460, CCI400 primer. Shoots group after group under a half inch. Dropped 20+ ground hogs in a row DRT last summer.

Fitch

The 55 gr. Hornady SX pushed by 27 gr. of RL15 lit by CCI standard primers.

About .900" five shot @ 100 yds with four of those rounds consistently at .600".

I'm not crowing but that's just the facts right now. I have not had lot of time to develop a better load .....

...... and I have the same feelings about this rifle ... a GREAT walking rifle but not the best for sand bags and shooting flies @ 200 yds because it's so light weight.

Three 44s

Last edited:
My CZ Varmint .204 R regularly shoots steel prairie dogs and sillouites (sp) out to 300 meters at the Tucson Rifle Club. It could do better if my 58 year old eyes were better LOL.

Jeff S.

I have that same rifle with a 1-12 twist barrel.
It shoots a number of loads that are in the 1/2" range at 100 yards.
The 40 grain Sierra Blitz with H-335, the 50 and 52 grain Bergers, and Speer's 50 grain TNT, with TAC, and the 45 grain Sierra 1410 with 22.0 grains of IMR-4198, and the list goes on.
grin.gif

I am thinking that you have to work hard to find a load that won't shoot, not only with the CZ, but most other well made 223's.

Hey, Rustydust don"t let that tall guy at the range shoot it, he"ll put them in a small hole. That CZ might shoot as good as his Rem 788

I have a 527 American in .223 with the 12 twist barrel. I think this combo does better with shorter length bullets. I hear lots of reports of them really liking the 40 and 45 grain bullets, but I have not gotten around to trying them yet, that is next on my agenda. What I have shot in mine so far is the 55 Rem PSP and the Sierra 50 Blitzking. Both of these bullets are about the same length, and it will shoot 5 of either into about 1.5" @ 200 yards any day, better if the wind isn't blowing. That is okay, but I really am expecting much better from this rig. I really think those bullets are about on the top end of what this rifle will stabilize satisfactorily with the 12 twist, and expect much better results as I go to a shorter more stable bullet. I had a very few of the 50 grain SX I shot sighting in, and it seemed to shoot them much better. My next bullet to test is the 50 grain Speer HP FB, I think they should stabilize well, and I am going to another powder I think will be better as well.

I have to say though, I really like this little rifle alot, and think it is going to shoot real well once it gets broke in and I get serious about load development with the right components. It has shown signs of great potential here and there, I just need to get into it's comfort zone. Good luck with yours.

Last edited:
Mine is a Varmint With the 1 in 9 twist . So far I have got around 1/2" groups with 53gr TSX moly tumbled in Rem cases with Rem 7 1/2 primers and 21.5 gr H4198 ..... The 70 gr TSX made oblong holes thru the target @ 90 yards with a max load of RL15 .So I,m thinking the 62 gr TSX will be max for this rifle . Possibly the 65 gr Seirra Game King also ...... I shortened the barrel on mine to 20" and it shoots as good as it did with the 24" barrel but is just really nice to pack around .. Enough weight to settle down but not so much as to be real heavy , and it goes thru the brush very easily when slung or in hand ..... Sorry this isn,t the same twist as yours ...... I did all my bench shooting after dark useing dim high beam head lights @ - 37 below , So there is a very good chance the rifle will shoot alot better as by the end of one shooting session I had iced up the eye piece lense ..... It shoots plenty accurate for fox @ 300 yards and coyote @ 400 .. for me

Originally Posted By: who meHey, Rustydust don"t let that tall guy at the range shoot it, he"ll put them in a small hole. That CZ might shoot as good as his Rem 788

Hey- that "tall guy" that you mentioned was obviously some homeless guy that just wandered up to the range that day. I rather felt sorry for him given the sad firearms that he had with him. Being the wonderful fellow that I am, I let him shoot a group with my CZ. When we went down to look at the targets,I punched three holes in the paper with my ball point pen that you could cover with half a dime when he wasn't looking so this bum would think that he actually shot them. No friend of mine would ever think of outshooting me with my own gun. I mean really, who would ever do that do anyone and call them your friend? No tall guy that is rapidly losing what little hair that he has left that wishes he had a truck as good as mine would ever do something like that. And that's a fact, Jack!

Rustydust you know good and well that you are are going to load that CZ .223 with some Varget and it will shoot just fine.
grin.gif

It won't be as much fun as the Fireball though and not as cute either.

OK- you got me, And "tall guy" did shoot a three in one hole with 26.3 grains of Varget and the 50 grain Nosler. I think he did it just to annoy me. My gun, my ammo too. He may find a loogie on his windshield in the near future.

Matterfak, all of my guns shoot Varget well. My AR-15 last Saturday shot a 5 shot group of just .335 with the Varget and Nosler load. My Savage 112 has shot 5 into a hole that you could not push a pencil through. What's not to like?

I like your AR too! It still amazes me how well it shoots. I don"t know why you went out and bought another .223 to add to your line up. Other than it was a good rifle at a good price. Varget has been good to you

Originally Posted By: who meI like your AR too! It still amazes me how well it shoots. I don"t know why you went out and bought another .223 to add to your line up. Other than it was a good rifle at a good price. Varget has been good to you

A CZ 527 American topped with a Denver made 3X9 Redfield scope for $365 was a good price for sure. I'm only human. Well, a 2XL human.

Besides, if I keep buying guns, maybe my wife will let me buy a bigger safe some day. Perhaps if I start stacking the guns that wont fit in safe on her side of the bed she will get the hint.

Back