Johnny Stewart Prey Master Help!! UPDATE!! Fixed

sparky13

I have had my prey master for at the most 2 years. It has low hours on it, Probably changed the batteries 3 time. I just pulled it out and I am having some problems with it. Sometimes when I turn it on I can't turn it off, or I go to turn a sound on and nothing happens. I thought it could be the Memory cards, so I bought a new one and I am still having problems. I really don't have the money right now to buy a new caller. Does anybody know if my caller can be fixed? or would it not be worth it?
grin.gif
*****UPDATE*****
grin.gif

I took my prey master apart. Super easy! There is 6 screws on the back (2 are under the battery cover.) I then took alcohol and a few Q-tips and cleaned the circuit board and the port where the memory card goes into (Front and Back). I cleaned all of my memory cards. I tested it with all the memory cards and did not have any kind of failures. This is great because it was not working 80% of the time.

Thanks,
Sparky13

did u store it with the batteries in it. always take the batteries out when you are done with it. call HS ask for jason bream 319 395 0321

Here is a copy-paste for some trouble shooting for the PM-4

Quote:1) While the base unit is turned off, remove the batteries from the base unit and reinsert them.
2) With the base unit still turned off, remove each of the three memory cards from the base unit and reinsert them, making sure you can hear them lock/click into place. (Also, try the memory cards in different slots to determine if the problem may be with the cards and not the base unit.)
3) Turn the base unit on and select a sound, making sure the remote is at least a few feet away from the base unit. (If it’s too close, it may not signal properly.)
4) If you think the problem is with the memory cards and not the base unit, please take a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean the brass contacts on the cards. Occasionally there will be a slight residue on these contacts, and oftentimes, this is all that is needed to get them working.
5) If the preceding steps do not work, re-synchronize the remote with the base unit by taking a pin (or a paper clip that’s been straightened out), and inserting it in the small hole above the battery compartment on the back of the base unit. While pressing and holding this ‘reset button,’ push a button on your remote and hold it for three seconds. This will reprogram that remote to that particular base unit and reset the caller.

Try this and post back.
Hope this helps.
Mark

sharkathmi - Thanks I will try cleaning the contacts. If that doesn't woork I'll give them HS a call.

Thanks for the info,
Sparky13

I also took EMT's advice and called Jason bream. Sense it was out of the 12 month warranty there wasn't anything they could do, but they do sell just the control for $40.

Thanks for the advice..
Sparky13

Last edited:
If you need to clean the contacts, instead of a Q-Tip and alcohol (that will work, but try this:)
rub the contacts lightly with a pencil eraser.
That cleans them up better than anything I've ever found, and I worked with PC boards for 20 years.
wink.gif

You're just tring to remove a very thin layer of oxidation. The eraser does it in about 3 strokes and there's no cotton fibers to contend with.

Back