Utah State Calling Championship

Bozdogkiller

Its the Saturday after Thanksgiving The 28th.
By invite.
Just was curious to see who else was on the roster.
Looks like good weather so far and the dog numbers should be up since the Youth hunt had such bad luck with the weather and all.

IS A JOKE--the real contest was last week at the youth hunt..call it anything you want just dont call it the ut st championship, the best coyote hunters in utah hunted last week....and those kids had fun.

HEY Al there is no need to put down this Hunt.
Thats what is has been called for years and thats what people know it as.
And its not my fault they dont let certin people hunt in the contest.
But do us all a favor if you have a problem with a post and have nothing good to say about it just dont respond.
Start your own post about your own dislikes,
Please dont rudly state what a joke somethimg is, just because you had differences with the guy that puts it on.
He or I dont make any rude comments about the hunt you help to put on.

I only put down what needs putting down...if its legit make it so, if its not tell the truth-JOKE Ive made my peace, with the GUY, dont call something that its not....weather they know it as that or not, Its not a championship..call it a poor negro college fund hunt, Or maybe a youth hunt---just dont call it anything related to a legitimate championship...and I wont say a word more. Deal. And BOZ what can you possibly say about getting 200+kids out coyote hunting for a day and giving 40+guns to them, I thank those boys every year for making a few of my friends mad, its how the youth hunt started but dont call it something that its not.

Originally Posted By: BAMITcall it a poor negro college fund hunt

grin.gif

I've done the Utah Championship for a lot of years (can't do it this year due to prior Commitments) but its one of the best contests I've done. Organization of this contest is spectacular. Zero tolerance for rules violations, and the truth be told anyone who wants to hunt can get an invite.
Since there is no organized federation of coyote tournaments like with fishing, or other sporting contests who is to say any coyote tournament is what it says. Heck the "World Championship" could be called the "he who accesses (leases) the best private property championship". The national championship had less teams than the Rock Springs contest so is it still the "National championship"?
Call it what you want but when I travel from Wyoming to hunt the Utah event I feel like I'm hunting against some of the best hunters in the state.
As far as the youth hunt goes I've heard it is as quality of coyote hunt as there is. The people that put this event on should be applauded at every chance as they are directly responsible for passing on Our hunting heritage.

Last edited:
The problem I have with Utah contests is they seem to not want any one to know about them. I can find contests in Idaho and Nevada but seldom hear about them in Utah until after they are over and then only if someone posts the results on the board. The exeception being the Utah Trappers youth hunt.

The reason they run under the radar (or don't advertise) is the fact that they have had problems with anti hunters,i.e. Peta and Human Society. Anyone remember The fire bombing of Tandy leather 10-15 years ago in SLC. As we all know these people don't think straight.
They have a contest rule in the Utah hunt that none of your coyotes can be in view as your driving down the road. This is to not bring negative attention to the contest from the kind of people that would make a problem. When your driving with the 2 million plus people that call the i-15 corridor home I think this is a good rule although the same rule probably is not needed in Northern Nevada, Idaho, or Wyoming.
Every year that Utah hunt has got bigger. I think there were 65 teams last year. I don't know how much bigger you it should be but they must not need to advertise to much.

BAMIT, Deal
So were all good if I just refer to it as the State Hunt ?

I would never say a word about having a youth hunt.
Its the best hunt in the State IMO but i still have a few years before I can attend , My son is only 4 and dont like the cold.

So is there no one else doing the ( THE UTAH STATE HUNT)?

Drama is so fun.

Last edited:
Disappointing that some can't let things go.

I have heard that you can get an invite by asking for one. In fact I was asked last year to participate after inquiring about the hunt after a post on here.

Lived and hunted in Utah for 17 years and never heard of a contest until it was over.

good luck I will be interested in hearing the winning totals

I think 1 or 2 will win it as Utah as the fewest coyotes and the most hunters of said coyotes of any state I have ever lived in (UT,AZ,CO,WY,NV)

Back