A Shotgun kinda day!!!

Jeff Mock

I decided to calling today, and brought a guy from work who has been once or twice, but had never killed anything.

We started at first light, and the dogs were just not responding. After a few dry stands, and the dogs not being very cooperative, I told him we were going to concentrate on calling the washes, and maybe bring a fox or a cat in since the dogs weren't cooperating.

I really wanted him to get his first dog, so he was the "shooter" with the rifle, and I just guarded the backdoor while the Foxpro played it's magical tune.

Anyway, we get set up in a nice wide wash with banks on either side. I am hoping something comes over the top of the bank to the caller giving him plenty of time to line up and shoot something.

I position him in front of me facing the direction of the Foxpro which is set up about 45 yards in front of us. I sat behind him, and did my job of running the caller, and guarding the back door.

As the Foxpro is playing my new favorite song,(DSG Cottontail), Paul, (that's his name), is READY!

About 4 minutes into the stand, I hear a very faint noice behind me, up the bank. All of a sudden, a coyote BUSTS over the top of the bank at about Mach 4, and about 5 feet in front of me. Talk about a "shake up". It all happened very quickly, and right after it happened, I realized that, Yes, my shotgun was sitting in my lap, right where I put it.

We let the Foxpro do it's thing, and just sat and waited. About 3 minutes later, up the bank and behind us, we hear some pretty serious growling, followed by some barking by one fired up coyote. Again, we sat still and waited.

The dog barked at "whatever" was eating the bunny, so I barked back with the Foxpro. This brought him a little closer.

While this dog is still barking his fool head off, another coyote presents himself about 35 yards down from ME, (not poor Paul), and begins to give everything a look from where he stood.

I brought the 870 up, and let fly! BOOM! The dog was hit very solid, with the 3" Mag copper plated BB's, and it rolled him hard! He popped RIGHT back up, and I let him have another!

We ended the stand and walked to where the dead coyote lay, and man oh man, was he a WHOPPER. This is the largest coyote I have ever killed. I didn't have a scale with me, but I'm gonna guess he was a SOLID 40 pounder! Dragging him back to the truck was no easy chore.

I layed my 870 across his body to give some idea of his size. The 870 has a 28" field barrel with an extra full Turkey choke. This was one solid Coyote!

A few stands later, we found another wash and decided to call it as well. I sit right behind Paul guarding the back door while he is pointed in the direction of the call, which is about 40 yards down the wash.

Once again, another coyote comes from the "backdoor". The coyote does not see us as we are in the shade against the bank of the wash, and he is headed straight for the call.

I picked him up about 100 yards down the wash, and just let him come.

I was going to let this dog walk right by us so that Paul could have a shot at it, but at about 10 yards, the dog looked to his right and saw us. He wasn't sure what "we" were, but he stopped. I already had the 870 locked on to him, and decided to shoot the dog before he bolted on us. BOOM, DRT!

3" Mag Copper plated BB's do quite a number on a coyote at 10 yards. No tail spin, no leg twitch, just dead right there!

This dog was not nearly as big as the first, but still a nice healthy 25 pound dog.

I felt pretty bad that Paul didn't get his first dog, but I feel pretty good about guarding the back door with some pretty good success.

Sorry for the long post, but once again, I had a blast!

Good work Jeff. I've been favoring my shotgun lately. That is a monster coyote too. I like cottontail DSG. Fox pup and I've been trying out foxpro's kiss of death.

Last edited:
Yea - yea. I went out solo today west of Tucson in the Ironwood Forest National Monument. It was mostly shotgun country. Saw one, had 2 packs answer my FX3 / coyote locator but none rode home in the back of the Chevy.

Jeff S.

Last edited:
AZCayote & Quapaw9300, I've been living in Tucson now for almost 6 years and have have a a very tough time finding folks who wanna go calling.

Let me know if you guys would like to hook up and go out some time.

Jeff

man nice job thats a huge dog. just curious what volume do you guys keep it on and how long per sound? also do you guys prefer both speakers on the fox pro or just 1. thanks good huntin

The volume really depends on the area I'm calling. Some stands I start it out at 20, and others at 25 or so. I usually use just 1 sound, unless I've shot a dog, and then I'll play a Ki-Yi for a bit and then go back to the distress call.

Barry Stewart has a whole series he uses when he calls, but then again, he knows how to program the Foxpro, and I'm just learning how to use it.

I can tell you one thing for certain, I do like sing the e-caller....A LOT!
wink.gif

We need to get these Tucson boys together for a hunt one of these days.

I can't believe I've lived here 6 years and havn't hunted ONCE with any of you. That's gotta change!!!

Nice day!

When you told me you would only grab the shotty today I thought that was a bit risky. But with a buddy holding a rifle it was the thing to do! I love running the shotty!

Did you give him any of this? "Hey paul, how many coyotes did you shoot today?" or "Man I really love this shotgun, I think its a keeper"

Thats what I always hear when the shotty is hot in somebody elses hand! All in good fun of course, and usually spoken in their best Napolian Dynomite voice.

Congrats!

Todd

That's funny Todd! I really wanted Paul to get his first coyote under his belt. Paul hasn't killed anything with his brand new Remington 700 VS 22-250, and he was more than just a little determined to do it.

I suggested to him SEVERAL times, that he carry the scattergun, but he wanted to get blood on his new rifle.

At the end of the day, driving home, Paul looks at me and say's, "I guess I should have carried the shotgun today huh"?

I just looked at him and replied, "Paul, that's why it's called Hunting and not Killing".

Paul was quiet the rest of the way home.

Good going Jeff.
That Federal Ammo is great stuff.
I almost called you a couple times today to see how you were doing.

Here's a new sig line for you.
No Flat. No Cat.

Congrat's on what sounds like an awsome hunt!

If Paul sticks with it, he'll eventually get his first.

From the sound of things, I'd bet sooner rather than later.

Daryl

I hate it when I take someone out, and the stupid critters keep comin' from the wrong way!

Sounds like a blast, congrats!

Back