Field and stream scopes

coyote_grimreaper

I was a Dicks last night, pretty cool store that just opened, and I was looking at scopes. They had some field and stream scopes for smoking prices. A magnum 3-10x40mm for like 60.00. Does anyone have any experience with these? They look like good scopes, but with my experience they will suck for that kind of money.

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110No and you'll get what you pay for...

That is THE answer; Right On!
Might as well flush $60 down the toilet...
frown.gif

What a grumpy bunch! It looks like dick's has filled the void left by joe's departure, would be nice to have one on this side of the mountain. blue

Originally Posted By: BusterYou really need to ask about the quality of a $60.00 scope?...

Whether you like this response or not, it is my sentiments exactly and I have owned literally more scopes than I can remember, varying in price from really cheap to really expensive. Until you buck up $150 for a Weaver Classic, there is nothing cheaper I would waste my money on.......

WOW! Can you imagine some newby asking a question like that and getting some of these salty but humorous response? Too funny. Guess you won't be talking about trips to Dick's anytime soon. lol!

I have probably seen more broken pieces of junk than most.

Tascos, Simmons, Bushnells(no not Elites), and Burris FFs top the list.

This years "open to the public" deer rifle site in (where members help the public get their guns "on") at our club was another real eye opener. In 2 days I saw 2 broken Bushnells, 2 broken Tascos, and a broken BSA. A lot of them sitting in only the finest of see-thru rings. One old boy was so mad that his $25 scope didn't work, he marched right back to Wal-Mart and bought a $40 scope. That'll fix 'em.

I guess a $60 scope might work for the weekend warrior crowd. If you want to waste yor money......

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoWOW! Can you imagine some newby asking a question like that and getting some of these salty but humorous response? Too funny. Guess you won't be talking about trips to Dick's anytime soon. lol!

Simply ain't my nature to beat around the bush and sugar coat it when facts is facts.

The post was meant to use the vast knowledge of the memebers of this board. I have never seen FS scopes before. So, I have no knowledge of them. Not the breand of scope I buy anyway. I have no intention of buying one, I was wondering if they were on the same level as most of the Tasco scopes. Most of them are POS also, but once in a while you find a decent one. Still not GOOD. Dicks is kind of nice to have here, but as far as gun prices, they are high.

Yeah I watched Predator Quest today and he explained that he was 18 inches high on a yote he missed on last weeks show. He fell on his scope (Nikko Stirling his sponsor) and it moved his impact 18 inches high. I think I would have just kept my mouth shut about the whole affair. It's very hard when the stress of money forces us to constantly look for great values. Lately I'm thinking if you don't have $350 plus bucks it may be better to get back to basics and buy a fixed 4X.

Respectfully, I do think we owe our members the courtesy of first answering their question and then providing our philosophical perspectives regardless of how wonderful our perspectives may be in our mind (individually and collectively). There's nothing worse than creating an environment where people are afraid to ask questions for fear of being instantly hammered for asking.

Originally Posted By: Shawn_BRespectfully, I do think we owe our members the courtesy of first answering their question and then providing our philosophical perspectives regardless of how wonderful our perspectives may be in our mind (individually and collectively). There's nothing worse than creating an environment where people are afraid to ask questions for fear of being instantly hammered for asking.

he pretty much answered his own question in the last sentence. it seems everyone was just agreeing with him.

"They look like good scopes, but with my experience they will suck for that kind of money."

Agree with ya 100%. At the same time, for the SALTY folks up here, you gotta admit some of the responses are humorous for those of us who are a bit "twisted."

Guess I'll start a pizzing contest. Just a few posts back, everyone was talking about the Simmons Whitetail Classic for $109.00. Are cheep scopes just the ones that cost under $100.00? Everyone was raving about how good they were and was going to buy one even if they didn't need it. Granted, you usually get what you pay for. Just wondering the difference between a $60. POS and a $109. POS?

All I'll say is, if I had the money back I wasted on cheap scopes over my lifetime, I could have bought a couple of Leupolds and still been using them.

That's learning a lesson the expensive way.

I'm very disappointed in what some of the major big-name scope manufacturers put out to get in the "cheap" scope niche, personally. Bushnell, Tasco and Weaver both got a bad rep with me from the quality of their low-end stuff.
Leupold and Nikon at least make a "cheap" scope that they don't need to feel embarassed about putting their name on. I always thought that was a smarter strategy, long-term.

I would have had better luck with a toilet paper tube and 2 toothpicks than the last cheap Tasco I tried.
grin.gif

Back