?? for Duane

iamdrglass

I have noticed on several of your dogs that they have a freeze brand on them. Do you do that yourself?? And at what age?
If anyone else has the info please chime in.
Thanks
Dan

yea he does it hisself, there afew on here that do, i use a brass iron that i made and nitrogen. i try to wait till my dogs are 6 monthes, i shave it, wash it with alcohol, i leave the iron on the dog for 15 sec but i think i am going to back down to 10 sec next time, with my iron 15 sec is leaving it like a fire brand which is ok but i think 10 will leave it white, here are acouple of pics, not the best but all i have
Hunting007.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

i dont think so, hope not, i just do mine with the same one i used on cattle, but on the dog i just figure someone is less likely to keep one of my dogs with them wearing a brand, and my dogs would load up with about anyone

Thanks Ryan, you saved me a bunch of typin.
What Ryan said is exactly what I do.I did four more the other night.
A freeze brand done right will have a depression as soon as its done ,then disapear.Ten days or so later the hair will start to fall out, and you will have a "scab". Someone recomended to me usein bagbalm or something of that sort to keep it soft. I'm gonna try that this time.
I "burned" some brands at first, but 15 seconds seems to be about right. I'm still learning, I've only done 30 or so dogs.

Any welding supply store will have it. And most of your large animal Vets will just give it to you, they get semen shipped in with it.
As far as how long to leave the brand on, it depends what your brand it made of and how thick.The thicker the brand the less you have to leave it.10 to 15 seconds should be plenty, I would start with 10. the alcohol will make it colder also and give you a better brand. Start light and if need be you can rebrand them latter. White of light colored dogs I would do 15 to 20 seconds to burn them other wise it will not show up. Trapper2 has some great pictures of lighter colored dogs he branded and did a good job on. This is a good place to get your brands made if you already do not have one. http://lhbrandingirons.com/pg/freeze.asp
I don't know of any state that requires you to register a brand for a dog.

Last edited:
I got my brand from the same site Devin recomended.
Its a slick clean brass "IRON",and was a reasonable price.
I also don't know of any state that a "dog" brand has to be registered.
Here is a nice brand on Buckshot.
09pupsontrapline1.jpg

It burned alittle, but still turned out OK.
Fresh Brands, these are about 4 weeks in the pics, no bag balm,or any other treatment.
Buckshot.jpg

Misty-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back