Best Time Of Day to Call ? ?

Elking

Just curious when everyone seems to have thier best luck calling coyotes ? First light, mid- day, evening etc.

Also are there certain weather conditions that you just wont bother even going out in ?

ANYTIME I CAN!!

I like going out at first light I will stop around 10ish and start back up around 3 until dark.

For the weather, I will go out in pretty much anything.

BEST time for me would be a half hour before shooting light, when the yotes are still singing. It's easy to locate a good area this early I find. I'll start calling about 5 mins before shooting light.

Baer

It just all depends. I can see coyotes quite often from my windows and sometimes they're out there at noon, sometimes only morning/evening. I shot one yesterday at 3 pm and spotted 2 more out hunting. The day before there were 4 in the pasture across the road at 9:30 am. Basically, I'll call anytime I can get out and/or the weather's good. What changes is my stand location- I try to put myself where the coyotes are likely to be and I determine that by glassing. If there's no dogs in the grass, I head for the draws. But if they're out in the grass, I'm not going to hunt canyons.

I appreciate all of the post's...great tips!

What about windy day's...any luck there ? Seems like I have had no luck on windy day's at all. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Me and my partner hunt every chance we can no matter what the day is like. When we get the chance to go out we can't afford to pass it up because of the weather. Obviously really hot days seem to bring our results down but it still beats being stuck inside. We have had them come in during all times of the day. Seems like the wind is always blowing when we are out. We have called into the wind, cross wind and this year we got a double at a stand where the wind was at our back. If they are hungry they are going to come in.

The Coyote Doctors have called coyotes at any time of the day. We go all day long and although obviously first and last light is quite productive, so is the rest of the day.

Winds are a challenge, but we've called coyotes when the wind nearly blew us over and we were sure the sound wasn't travelling 100 yards. That's part of the reason we include wind speed on all of our video hunts, so viewers can see what tactics to use when the wind is blowing.
Doc

I hunt in wide open spaces, so I like to get out a bit later in the morning. I like them to be bedded down for the day so I can move from stand to stand with less chance of being seen.

As has been said, winds can be a challenge. My single best day calling coyotes occured with high winds, 9 stands and at least one coyote came in on each stand, on heavily hunted public lands.

Time and time again 9:30 am - 10:30 am has proven to be the magic hour for me. Most days that I hunt, I hunt from first light to dark, non-stop. I've had horrible luck with the last stand of the day (the sunset stand) - in three years I've only had one positive encounter on a sunset stand, but... it was a triple, all three killed. I seem to have similar results with early morning compared to mid-day stands.

For me, winds 10 mph and less are ideal, 10 - 20 mph are huntable, but more challenging, and at 20+ mph I begin to question whether it is even worth going out. I prefer cold and cloudy days, you know... the three C's... cold, calm, cloudy.

FWIW, I hunt in the wide open praries and deserts of Wyoming.

Last edited:
When they are "in the mood".

My theory is that I see TONS more 'otes during daylight righ around a full moon.

Otherwise, nighttime.

Three 44s

i'm sitting here with 45 mph winds outside coyotes might come but i think i'll go see if i can find some place its calmer on weather.com because I HATE WINDY
its trying to blow the screen door off right now.

well i'm glad i'm not the only one getting this wind. With everything else going on I try to limit my hunting to fairly calm days for wyoming. A lot of times I can slip away for a hour or 2 in the morning and a couple hours in the evening. I'd say it's probably split 50/50 for me as which is more productive. just my .02.

A lot depends on where you are calling. Here in the midwest, we have a lot of human activity during the day. I would take 1 morning stand to 4 evening stands. They seem more relaxed in the a.m. after hunting all night. In the evening all they have to do is wait til dark to come in. Out west I have had success all day long. As far as wind I prefer some wind to no wind. I have had better luck on days with up to 15 m.p.h. than on dead calm days.

Back