How about a racoon?

coyote_220

I have been seeing a lot of racoons round here lately and I am wondering if they will come to a call. If they will come into a call what would work the best?

Thanks
Shawn

Well, gentlemen.

Beginning a new Forum, who likes to throw cold water on topics? Not me.

But, from now on, any questions about calling raccoons and badgers will be moved to the Predator Forum.

This Forum is meant for squirrels and prairie dog shooters, also 'chucks and
crows, that kind of lesser vermin.

Thanks for cooperating.

Good hunting. LB

Oops sorry about that Leonard my mistake. I just considerd a racoon a rodent but I guess if it responds to a distress call it is a predator.

Thanks
Shawn

Next time that's 30 day's in the cooler...heh heh
smile.gif

Coons do indeed come to calls, but I have only called ONE in daytime. Night time is coon calling time. I'm not a Dennis Kirk fan but his Coon puppies tape is murder on night time coons.

That's very true, Rich. My personal experience is that raccoons spend most of the day in the trees, and won't bother to come down for a distress call. Night time, depending on the area, that's a way different story. They respond very directly, again, unless they are in trees. My impression is that Texas has a bunch of 'coons, we have some in the Sierras and in the local mountains, but there is wide gaps in the distribution, following water sources, I guess? However, I did see one right down in Coyote God's country; road kill just north of Elfrieda! Seemed a unlikely spot, and flat.

But, the advice about coon fight sounds and bird distress sounds are very good. Myself, if I call them, I tend to let them go, unharmed.

Good hunting. LB

Let me make a suggestion. If you come a across an area where you are seeing coons and want to bag one. Do yourself a favor. Go to KFC and eat your chicken dinner. Afterwards, take the leftovers such as the bones and set them in an area where you know raccoons have been hanging around. Leave for about an hour or 2 and come back. If you set a trap, you should have him caught. If you are hunting with a rifle, sneak up to the bait, try some calls and be ready! Do this this about an hour before sunset.
smile.gif
MP

BTW-Utah has seen an enormus increase of raccoons over the last 10 years.
------------------
yotewalk.gif
http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 06-17-2001).]

I have been calling coons at nite for close to twenty years. It can be excellent. Have shot over twenty in one nite. Three and four on a stand is common if done correctly at the right time. hint... and it aint the way DK says in his book!!

I've had far better success with Stewarts "coon fight" tapes than I have with kirks "coon puppies". I've also found the recording quality of the Stewarts to be much better than DK's. Too much "noise" on the Kirks.

Don't waste your time (and the wounded critters) by using a 22 rimfire. 22 mag is the only way to go.

Back