Number of stands

rcm243

I read somewhere on here that a guy made 15 stands and called in 6 coyotes,I hunt in west Tn. and last week I made no less than 40 stands and only killed 4 coyotes, I got a double on one stand and the next day I got another one and the next day after that I got my fourth. I`ve made about 40 to 45 stands since and haven`t seen one coyote, I hunt nothing but private land and have access to farms all over 2 counties, I don`t have to hunt any one place twice in 2 or 3 weeks and I never run across any other hunters.
That being said makes me think that these eastern coyotes are very smart. If I could call in 6 in 15 stands here I`d think I was in coyote heaven. What is the coyote per stand ratio out in the western states?

So far this year I've averaged one in three. I seem to average about 1:4 or 1:5. I will qualify that though, there are drought periods that I seem to go through, where that number can go way up.

i made 10 stands last saturday called in 4 and saw two walking into the setup.
for a beginner i tell them one in ten.
on bad weather or those days when coyotes don't want to play it can throw a good days calling average down.
you can have a great day callin in ten coyotes the next time you can have a dry day that will ruin any average.
some days i call honey days when they all come running and others you couldn't drag one in on a leash.

Last edited:
Middleton has it right. On average, you can figure about on coyote responding every 3-4 stands for most of the western states. That said, there are days you call a coyote (or more) every stand and there are days you don't see a hair.

Coyote population, hunting pressure, prey density, weather conditions, and about 50 other things can all factor into response rates. The real key is not letting the ones that do respond escape.

Doc

I live out in west Texas and have access to a very large ranch with no other predator hunters. Same goes here for me, lots of land access and I dont have to call the same area but maybe three times an entire season, but the only reason we do go back is because we normally have success in those spots, otherwise, we would not necessarily have to go back. Well, last weekend I went out and did 20 sits and shot one dog all day. In my opinion, I would say its still a little hot right now, but I have hunted lots of places before now when it was hotter, and had way better luck. However, I have had a few days where every sit, or every other sit, I would call in dogs. It's wierd and lots of times discouraging when you use an entire tank of gas, money on food, and wake up at the butthole crack of dark to drive a hundred miles and shoot one coyote all day! Especially when you could have just simply gone out by the city dump ten miles away and cleaned house like I did a week prior to the last one. I am still too new to the sport to know exactly why they do or do not come in. I would also like to hear other peoples opinions as to why they do what they do? In retrospect, on one of my bad days where no dogs came in, I called in and cracked me a bobcat, so the fact that there were no dogs and one cat made it all worth it! To answer the question though, 1dog:20sits last weekend. Three weeks ago, or a month ago 8dogs:18sits. Last year, it was even better, maybe half my sits were calling in dogs. Shooting them however, was a little bit different story. lol!

I get in maybe two stands an hour, last year I made over 140 stands and killed 41 coyotes, this year I've made 65 stands and called in 38 coyotes. This year is different for me because I am improving as a caller. I hunt New Mexico and west Arizona, and we have a bunch of coyotes and alot of territory.

Originally Posted By: rcm243That being said makes me think that these eastern coyotes are very smart.

You are right, eastern coyotes are a different animal than their western cousins. I highly recommend Gerry Parker's "The Eastern Coyote" for more info.

I hunt a large ranch in Georgia with many different tracts of land and average a coyote about every 15 stands.

Where I hunt at we are in the middle of a long drought. Last year and this year the coyote population is way down compared to 2 years ago.

Last year and this year on a good day I will call in 2 or 3 coyotes out of 15 stands or so. On good years there is coyote scat on the roads everywhere. No coyote scat to be seen on the roads now.

Two years ago we averaged killing over 3 coyotes per day for 29 days of coyote calling. Most of those were full days of calling but not all of them were. We blanked on 4 or 5 days but we had some great days where we got 7, 8 & 9 coyotes in a day. So on my best year ever we could load up the truck one day and then blank the next day.

Last year 1 year after our best season the most we got in one day was 2 coyotes.

So from one year to the next we went from a total of 97 coyotes taken down to a total of 16 coyotes taken.

The wildlife population cycles around here right along with or just behind the average rainfall. We have been way below average on our rainfall for 4 years now.

I'll have to post and check my signature...

Okay- looks like I'm running 4.5 stands/coyote so far. My average last year was probably about the same. Feels the same, anyhow. However, I'm always trying new places and terrains, instead of going for the tried and true- that'll lower my percentage a little bit. Right now, I'm working on calling more in the open grasslands as opposed to the canyons and draws where I normally call.

But, hey, look at my call:kill ratio!
smile.gif
EDIT: well, it's slipped a little bit, thanks to two sneaky rascals!

Last edited:
This year I have only been able to make about 16 stands and i only called in two coyotes. So every 8 stands equals 1 coyote. The only way I see that I can improve that is to chose better stands and call better. I don't know if eastern coyotes are smarter; maybe just harder to hunt.

I've always wanted to know exactly what triggers the days when all the coyotes come to play and why some days you couldn't buy a coyote.
I've looked at weather the moon time of year but still haven't came up with a good theory around here the wind plays a big part but isn't the whole equation

I've never paid much attention to averages but I've gone through 3 days of calling and only got up 2 coyotes. Another time I went out for just one day and called up 11 and got 8 coyotes. I finished the day at 3:00 in the afternoon as I had to head back to town for dinner plans.

I've driven a long distance to hunt over a weekend and got totally blanked then went back a couple of weekends later and did well. I know for sure that that's happened to a lot of folks. The opposite has happened, too. And then some places seem to always produce well.

IMO your results are good. We see all the time in here that there are guys who've gone out time after time for a couple of years and got blanked. I was in Georgia earlier this year and I was impressed by the number of coyotes we saw. Since Tennessee borders Georgia I would think the coyote hunting would be every bit as good. Maybe you just need to find some new hunting ground.

I am in Southern California. I hunt the deserts. My average this year is to see (not even kill) one coyote every 20+ stands. I am hoping this will frustrate the new hunters so they give up. I will always keep hunting.

I'm probably running so far this year at about a 1:5 ratio. I don't count stands, so that is only an estimate. Yesterday had 2 come in on the first 3 stands, then nothing for the next 7 or so. Then called in a fox late in the day. I'm also spending a lot of time right now in new territory, so there's going to be blanks. Once the territory is figured out, the ratio should go up...in theory.

I live in Wyoming, my record was 36 without a coyote sighting. Last year was horrible it seemed I'd always go about 10 stands. This year is better seem to be averaging one every 4 stands

I do all my hunting on public lands mostly within 30 miles of urban areas.

Here are my stats from August 1, 2009 to present.

Stands: 29
Coyotes Called: 7
Coyotes Killed: 1
Wounded Unrecovered: 1
Coyotes Missed: 3
Total Time Calling: 545 minutes
Average: 4.1 stands per coyote, calling time per coyote 78 minutes

Stats from August 1, 2008 to July 31, 2009

Stands 46
Coyotes Called: 15
Coyotes Killed: 5
Wounded unrecovered: 2
Bobcats Called: 1 (got pass not in season)
Total time calling: 788 minutes
Average: 3.1 stands per coyote, calling time per coyote 53 minutes

Yesterday. Seven stands, seven coyotes. One stand we had a triple come in and only one killed off of it. We killed three three before lunch though and called it a day.

My average is 1:10 but then there those rare nights it will be 2:3 ( I usually get 3 stands a night in) What is it that triggers those good nights???

Back