60 gr. Nosler Partitions

PABob

Have any of you ever used a 60 gr. Nosler Partition in a 22-250 to hunt deer?

My grandson (9years old) wants to use it for deer this season in my Remington 700 LVSF 22-250. Will a 1 in 14 inch twist stablize this bullet? Does this bullet have enough snot to make a quick, clean kill? What load would you recommend?

Thanks.....Bob

I have used the Sierra 63 Gr. SMP bullet in my 22-250 for Mule deer and it worked just fine.

My 22-250 is an old Ruger with a 1 in 14 twist and stabilizes the 63 Gr SMP well enough to shoot 3/8 inch groups or better at 100 Yds.

The Nosler 60 Gr Partition should be a better bullet for deer than the 63 Gr SMP.

Using a small caliber as the 22-250 means that shot placement is of the utmost importance.

Give the young man plenty of trigger time with the gun he will be using before the hunt.

DAB

A guy I work with used my Savage in .223 for last years Ky gun season. He used Black Hills Blue Box with 60g Partitions. I think 4 deer were killed with this combo and all one-shot kills(50-220yds). The bullet does great at .223 velocities and should do even better out of a .22-250(if the twist will stabilize them). I think you will be alright with 1:14 in 22-250 but be sure and confirm first.

Shot placement is going to be the biggest factor. I read a post on here a few years back, the guy had a young shooter and he gave him old hunting magazines and had the kid draw crosshairs on every picture of a deer in the magazine. When he was done they went through the mag together and critiqued each choice the kid made. Sounds like a good idea and fun. It gets them thinking about all the angles they might see in the feild. Good luck with the hunt and let us know how it goes.

peace.
unloaded

I have used them in my savage 22-250 and they work fine. Accuracy is good, and they penetrate very well. I have not had a lot of fall over stone dead shots with the 60 grain out of the 22-250 like I have with other bullets I use.

Telly ya what, since its for your grandson, and I happen to have a couple extra bullets layin around, why dont you shoot me your address. Ill send you some, you try them out, and then go from there. All I ask in return is that you share pictures of his deer with all of us. Deal?

Originally Posted By: yotenaylorI have used them in my savage 22-250 and they work fine. Accuracy is good, and they penetrate very well. I have not had a lot of fall over stone dead shots with the 60 grain out of the 22-250 like I have with other bullets I use.

Telly ya what, since its for your grandson, and I happen to have a couple extra bullets layin around, why dont you shoot me your address. Ill send you some, you try them out, and then go from there. All I ask in return is that you share pictures of his deer with all of us. Deal?

Like my papy says what goes around comes around GOOD or BAD I commend you on offering some bullets for him to try.
smile.gif

DAB

Here you can't legally shoot deer with anything smaller that .23

I know people do this in other places and I wonder what the logic is. There's lots of guys here using 180gr 30-06 for 160lb whitetail. Too much gun if you ask me.

I've used the 60 grain Partition quite a bit over the past few years on mule deer and whitetail. Absolutely no problems so far, except for some very dead deer. The 60's pentrate and crunch bone quite well. Much better than what those who have no experience with using a .22 CF and a bullet built for deer-sized game would guess.

For a young hunter, the light recoil of a 223/22-250 pushing a deer bullet will turn the lights out very quickly on the average deer. Put a bullet in the engine and the deer is dead.

I've never tried the 60 NPT in a 14" twist. They shoot well in my 12". You might try the Barnes 53 grain TSX or the 55 grain Trophy Bonded, if the 60's won't stabilize.

good bullet
I have only used the 64 gr win p.p on deer (220 swift)
worked flawlessly
I have since loaded up and stocked up on Nosler Partitions never have to many options
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back